My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

No Source found when TV powered on

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

k64

I have a Humax HDR-Fox-T2, which I leave permanently powered on, connected to the Samsung LE32C650 via HDMI2. At night I power off the TV (via the remote) and when I power on the next day whatever channel the Humax is tuned to was displayed OK - until 6th October.

Now, when I power on the TV, it displays the [no Source found] message even though the Humax display shows it is on and tuned to BBC1.

To correct this I now have to power off and power on the Humax. This is highly inconvenient if the Humax is recording at the time.

No menu settings have been changed on either the Humax box or the TV for a couple of months at least.

How can I revert to the pre-Oct 6th situation of the Source being discovered at power-on of the TV?

| Thu 11 Oct 2012 22:24:15 #1 |
  2. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

It is possible that this is an HDMI handshaking problem, If you can get video from the Humax to display on your TV via Scart but not HDMI. If this is the case one posibility is that the V-Format button on the Humax Remote may have been pressed in error, try selecting 1080P / 1080i / 720P to see if the problem goes away. If this does not solve the problem you need to find out what changed around the 6Th Oct, a Humax software update perhaps, if so it is possible to go back to an earlyer Software version

| Fri 12 Oct 2012 0:46:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

k64

I checked the V-format, ensured it was 1080i, but the problem remained.

I now see there is a national channel change in four days (17th) so I'll wait until that is over and report back then.

| Sat 13 Oct 2012 22:11:21 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

k64 - 34 minutes ago  » 
    I checked the V-format, ensured it was 1080i, but the problem remained.
    I now see there is a national channel change in four days (17th) so I'll wait until that is over and report back then.

You misunderstand, the reason for changing the vformat option is to force a hdcp renogiation. You have to cycle through the options by repeated presses of the vformat button till you get back to the option you want.

| Sat 13 Oct 2012 22:51:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I've no idea what changed, but I'd try using HDMI1 input and see if that helps.
    If not toggle the v-format, press and wait a second or two each time. It's a pain and it's a problem specific to Humax in my setup. None of my other hdmi equipment suffers from this problem, just Humax.
    If neither of the above helps then keep looking for ways round it, I'm assuming the tv is left in standby overnight so it's not been powered off for a while, a proper power cycle on the tv is worth a try, also check the tv's own update procedure, some check for an OTA update during the early hours which might mean switching inputs for a minute or so allowing the Humax to lose its handshake. Basically it's going to be trial and error until you find something that works as having to power cycle on the Humax everytime is unacceptable.
    Humax don't seem in any hurry to fix the hdmi/hdcp handshake problems and quite why we have copyright protection in the first place on boxes that can record FREEview and FREEsat has never made sense.

| Sun 14 Oct 2012 18:39:07 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Leaving the T2 always on is at least part of the problem, will at least add to your electricity bill. All set top boxes (except Sky, who currently ignore EEC rules claiming old designs) design their boxes to confirm to the (current) sub 0.5 watt standby rule.

By the active device. The T2 has no way of knowing you have done this, unless your TV remebers this.

Are you sure you TV has not received an OTA update?

| Sun 14 Oct 2012 19:22:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

k64

First, on the V-format issue, I did cycle through all the options when I tried it, so today I began by trying other suggestions...

I think I may have found a fix, even if I haven't found the cause of the problem. Let me describe what I did:

1/ Checked the TV's Current Version in case there was an OTA update. Since it is 2011/01/06_003006 I'm assuming no OTA of the TV.

2/ Moved HDMI cable from HDMI2 socket, on the TV, to HDMI1. At this point the No Signal message changed to Check Signal Cable until the TV's Source was changed to HDMI1, then it showed No Signal message as before.

Changed back to using HDMI2 as before.

3/ Did a proper power cycle on the Humax using power switch on the rear. I should explain, and apologise, that what I was doing previously was putting it into Standby and back by using the remote control.

This made no difference.

4/ Did a full power cycle on the TV pulling the mains plug and reinserting it.

This made no difference.

5/ Did a full power cycle on the Humax, by first using power switch on the rear, then pulling the mains plug, waiting 10sec or so and then reinserting it, finally switching it on at the rear.

This did the trick!

I have since switched the TV off and on a few times (i.e. into standby) and all is OK.

Thank you all for your advice, every bit was helpful.

| Mon 15 Oct 2012 18:21:00 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I suspect that in 3 or 4 you did not leave time for the capacitors to discharge which I would expect to be between 30-60 secs.

| Mon 15 Oct 2012 18:30:29 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulBear

I have a similar problem to this.
    Overnight, all boxes and TV are put on standby. The next day I switch the boxes on first and the TV 10+ minutes later. If the TV goes to the Fox T2 as opening screen it shows blank even though sound is on. As it is a minor irritation I just toggle to any other signal and then back to the FoxT2 and the picture is OK.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 13:41:57 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Unless you find another input on the tv that works better then unfortunately you'll always going to have to toggle something, inputs, v-format, standby etc. until you get a picture. So I guess you choose whichever gets you there quicker without losing the tv buffer if you want to rewind.
    You'll be told that the Humax will allow you to set the resolution on initial setup, this is correct, however 2 seconds later it takes no notice and decides itself what it can determine is connected. As there's no active display (tv started 10+ mins later) it'll give up.
    None of my other hdmi equipment does this. If I set my other boxes to a fixed resolution then they stick to it. Only the Humax wants to know better and messes it up consistantly.
    If Humax insist on this 'I know better' then it should try to ascertain the resolution of the display connected and if it can't it should default to what is in the settings menu, i.e what I've told the box is connected.
    Oh, I forgot, you can't set the resolution in the settings menu, there's no option! You can only do this on initial install which it then ignores. So if the box cannot determine the display resolution then it should default to what I told it was connected to during the inital install.
    I know Humax try to make it easier for their customers, however being able to set a fixed resolution for a display that doesn't change for a while in a settings menu would seem a pretty basic requirement. An if not 1080p/1080i/720p/576p then default to menu/initial setting, should be a fairly easy thing to code I would have thought.
    It is however, like you say, a minor irritation and not the end of the world and the FoxT2 is still the best box out there imho

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 14:41:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.