My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

On demand keeps dropping out

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Doctorjas

Hello. I just joined the forum to see if I could get some insight into a constant problem. On demand keeps buffering, sometiemes so badly it is unwatchable, sometimes fails altogether. The Humax box accesses the internet through a wifi router using a Humax 150N Wireless LAN USB adaptor. I don't think it's a broadband/wifi problem as I can get flawless streaming through the same router with my laptop. Another symptom is occasionally getting the message "On demand is not available.Try later. This usually only takes a few minutes" (owtte) It doesn't come back and going through checking the network connection doesn't help. Other postings indicate that wifi connection shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 19:59:27 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Position is key, try a phone with a wifi app near to the unit.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 20:34:27 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

So is router. Virgin routers are poor with WiFi. A superior model connected in modem mode can make a big difference in WiFi range.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 21:18:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Doctorjas

Thanks for those thoughts. The box is about 4 metres is a Talk from the router, admittedly with a wall and door in between. However, phone connection to wifi from this position is fine and my laptop can stream very happily on he same wifi from about the same place.
    The routeris a TalkTalk router (N150 ADSL2+ if that means anything - made by Huawei apparently).
    I have thought of using powerline adaptors and connecting using an internet cable, but I haven't been convinced that wifi was theproblem. Any thoughts on using a powerline adaptor?

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 21:48:45 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What do you get speed wise from a phone by the box using a web browser and https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

A direct cable is always the best option as powerline depends on the arrangement of your wiring. The best speeds are achieved when the socket by the router are on the same ring main as your box. You can check a powerline connection by by connecting your laptop to the powerline socket using the network cable and turning off WiFI, and repeating the test.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 22:43:01 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Doctorjas

OK, using my phone, speedchecker gives adownload speed of 1.85Mb/s and an upload speed of 0.11 Mb/s next to the box. A second test gave 1.52Mb/s and 0.31Mb/s Next to the router, the speeds are 2.23Mb/s and 0.1 Mb/s. Second test gives 1.92 Mb/s and 0.28 Mb/s.
    My laptop (about 4 feet from the router) gives 4.79 Mb/s and 0.33 Mb/s.

| Sun 4 Mar 2018 0:22:25 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Doctorjas - 16 hours ago  » 
    OK, using my phone, speedchecker gives adownload speed of 1.85Mb/s and an upload speed of 0.11 Mb/s next to the box. A second test gave 1.52Mb/s and 0.31Mb/s Next to the router, the speeds are 2.23Mb/s and 0.1 Mb/s. Second test gives 1.92 Mb/s and 0.28 Mb/s.
    My laptop (about 4 feet from the router) gives 4.79 Mb/s and 0.33 Mb/s.

Those figures are incredibly slow. I take it your phone is connected by WiFi.

Just checked my WiFi connected laptop.

Down 98 Mb/s Up 6.30 Mb/s in the lounge - router is upstairs.

Typically a Freeview-HD broadcast channel will average around 7-8 Mb/s with a peak at around 12 Mb/s

BBC Iplayer says a minimum sustained speed of at least 2 Mb/s is required for SD streaming.

| Sun 4 Mar 2018 16:31:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Doctorjas

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does seem low. Maybe I need to talk to my ISP.

| Sun 4 Mar 2018 23:13:35 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.