My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Option+ button no File Manager

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ahpea

I've installed Raydon's excellent software but now when I press the Option+ button on the remote to copy files from a USB stick the resulting window does not show File Manager. The HDR does indicate that a USB device has been connected. How do I copy files to the HDR from a USB stick now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 21:08:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

Ahpea - 4 days ago  » 
    I've installed Raydon's excellent software but now when I press the Option+ button on the remote to copy files from a USB stick the resulting window does not show File Manager. The HDR does indicate that a USB device has been connected. How do I copy files to the HDR from a USB stick now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The custom firmware does not change the Foxsat's own graphical user interface in any way. Access to the file manager remains the same as it always was. Pressing the Media button, followed by Opt+ will present a 'Settings' popup window, the first option of which is the File Manager.

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 14:51:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ahpea

Sorry Raydon, misread the manual failed to notice the Media heading. Perhaps I should explain what I’m trying to achieve, I’ve upgraded my Foxsat HDR to 2TB using a laptop with Ubuntu/gparted and a USB drive caddy. I’m now trying to copy the old recordings to the new 2TB drive from the original 320GB HD using the same USB caddy without success. The HDR recognises that a USB device has been connected but I can’t see the files. Any help would be much appreciated.

| Tue 10 Mar 2015 10:06:37 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ahpea - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry Raydon, misread the manual failed to notice the Media heading. Perhaps I should explain what I’m trying to achieve, I’ve upgraded my Foxsat HDR to 2TB using a laptop with Ubuntu/gparted and a USB drive caddy. I’m now trying to copy the old recordings to the new 2TB drive from the original 320GB HD using the same USB caddy without success. The HDR recognises that a USB device has been connected but I can’t see the files. Any help would be much appreciated.

The recordings should be in the video folder in the SDA3 partition. Can you see the partitions ? You should be able to play them back directly from the old drive connected by usb.

| Tue 10 Mar 2015 10:39:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ahpea

Graham thank you for your response it made me look at everything again. Found by chance that I needed to switch the USB drive off and wait for the USB disconnection message and then switch it on again wait a few moments and then the partitions would appear. However the copy button is greyed out but becomes available if I open a folder with a number of videos and select just one (a record the whole series folder). Is it not possible to copy the folder as a whole to the new drive or have I got to select and copy each individual recording?

| Tue 10 Mar 2015 16:06:08 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's been a while since I used a usb drive however, from memory

You can't copy a folder and contents, you can though create a new folder on the internal drive and then copy all the recordings in a single folder on the usb drive by using edit mode to select multiple files. (Yellow).

However as you have the CF, it's a lot easier to install a Linux driver in windows (EXT2FS) and connect the drive to your PC. You can then use Windows Explorer (or FTP) to drag complete recording folders to the new hard disk.

| Tue 10 Mar 2015 16:49:24 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ahpea

Thanks Graham I'll give EXT2FS a go.

| Tue 10 Mar 2015 17:56:06 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ahpea

Sorry Graham but I have Windows 7 64bit and EXT2FS runs on every other windows version including windows 8 but not windows 7.

| Tue 10 Mar 2015 21:37:51 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ahpea - 11 hours ago  » 
    Sorry Graham but I have Windows 7 64bit and EXT2FS runs on every other windows version including windows 8 but not windows 7.

There are a few other options (which afaik only give read access). As you only require to read the data this should suffice.

Try

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Incidentally it definitely works using Win 7 32 bit.

Alternatively you could create a Linux usb/CD and boot your PC into Linux and ftp the content to the Foxsat.

| Wed 11 Mar 2015 9:11:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ahpea

My Foxsat HDR is connected to the network using a Vonets WiFi bridge, I can see the Foxsat HDR in windows using my PC but I cannot see the USB caddy either when connected directly to the PC or when connected to the Foxsat HDR. Having “Googled” this, it appears to be a common problem when a drive letter has not been allocated but if the drive can’t be seen then how can a drive letter be allocated.
    The drive is shown as a Generic USB Storage Device in Administration/Computer Management/Storage – so the drive is seen by the system just doesn’t show.
    Gone back to copying from the caddy directly connected to the HDR.
    I’ve searched for an explanation of the function of HMT, NTS & TAC files on the HDR and haven’t found one. Can you help please?

| Thu 12 Mar 2015 18:01:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.