My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Postcode problem!

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ColShep

Hi - just bought a Foxsat PVR and, when I first turned on and registered everything was fine - including the postcode.
    Subsequently did a reset and now it refuses to recognise my postcode - which means the auto tuniung wont work and we have to do a manual tune. This would be fine but now I have 20 different BBC1's and ITV's and Channel 4s etc as it finds every transmitter in the country!
    I have tried unplugging everthing and restarting but it just wont recognise the postcode!
    Any ideas what I can do?

| Sat 21 Jan 2012 17:24:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome.

This thread might help

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/post-code-not-accepted#post-4271

| Sat 21 Jan 2012 17:54:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

papapod

I have just bought a Humax PVR for use in Cyprus. I cannot get any postcode accepted and get the message postcode invalid. I spoke to Humax cutomer support who said it is probably something to do with alignment because the postcode stuff is done on Earlybird 1 whereas a lot of the channels hemselves are on Astra D. I have taken the box to mky satellite installer who so far have not managed any better tan me! On Cyprus Living blog there is the following procedure:

Go into Freesat tuning.
    It will say searching for satellite signal.
    Watch the bars at the bottom, at first they will show strength 60%, quality 0%. When they jump (after a few minutes) (mine shows 100% and 60%)press the ok button.
    It will say failed to find signal. (ignore it)
    Press ok.
    If not in already enter Postcode. (I used SP10 5NJ, the last 3 digits don't seem to matter)
    Press ok.
    When it shows BBC HD England press ok and it will start searching and find the channels.
    Let it finish and save the results.

However, this has not worked for me. Any ideas?

| Tue 7 Feb 2012 15:11:43 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You may have a problem. A Freesat box needs access to Eurobird 1 at 28.5E (The postcode validification needs this) and also the Astra 2 satellite group at 28.2E. In Western Europe the dish sizes required have no problem in getting both locations at the same time.

In Cyprus you most likely need a dish getting up to around 3M in diameter. These have such a tight focus it may be impossible to get a lock on both orbital locations at the same time.

| Tue 7 Feb 2012 15:56:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

papapod

We do have a 3M dish. I also know of at least two other people who have succeeded in tuning to Freesat using the above technique. Will talk to my installer again in the morning!

| Tue 7 Feb 2012 19:55:22 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

papapod

I got my Humax back from our engineer an Saturday and his colleague had used his old Humax box and, using more or less the same instructions as above managed to get his Freesat channels set up. We cannot get the frequency that the box defaults to (11427) in Cyprus so the postcode search always fails.

However, I found that the trick was to turn the box off and on after the invalid postcode message. When it restarts, it starts searching for a signal. Hit stop when it finds one with a good signal strength then off you go! If it stops on 11428 you won't find any channels, but just keep trying different frequencies until it works.

I m now all set up and have disconnected my Sky+ box and cancelled my subscription. Hurray!

| Mon 13 Feb 2012 7:48:15 #6 |
  7. mac53

mac53

It is odd that you can not get it to accept the postcode . I am in Paphos and my foxsat hdr does accept postcodes and I can get ITV HD which is on 11427 .

| Mon 13 Feb 2012 11:44:59 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mac53 - 8 hours ago  » 
    It is odd that you can not get it to accept the postcode . I am in Paphos and my foxsat hdr does accept postcodes and I can get ITV HD which is on 11427 .

Not sure but I think the old red button service may now be defunct. It's been replaced by two normal full time free to air channels from Astra 2D (ITV1-HD Granada 1920 x 1080 and ITV1-HD London 1440 x 1080)

| Mon 13 Feb 2012 20:15:49 #8 |
  9. mac53

mac53

mac53 - 22 hours ago  » 

Me and my mouth , thanks to the update overnight moving channels to IN I now can no longer get any ITV ,CH4 and Film 4 .
    So effectively the Humax box is no longer any use in Cyprus.

| Tue 14 Feb 2012 10:19:27 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.