1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

^ No amplifier.

| Sun 15 Feb 2015 11:40:15 #11 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Steve983 - 9 hours ago  » 
    ^ I do the manual search per the users manual. My aerial is pointing at the Rowridge transmitter so I key in the codes 24,27,25,22,28 and search and save in turn. I have also tried the Default setting method but this is really an auto tune and doesn't seem to work as well.
    Steve

Your signal strengths are more than adequate, my guess is your problem channels are coming from a distant transmitter due to your method of Manual Search. Have you checked the UHF channel numbers (multiplex) of these problem channels, are they really Rowridge channels? Do you have channels numbered 800 and above, if so are these duplicates of your problem channels?

The problem with the Humax manual instructions for doing a Manual Search is that they don't tell you to delete all existing channels first which means you've probably got channels from a distant transmitter still saved. Having channels from more than one transmitter causes two of the problems you report, inaccurate Accurate-Recording and incomplete EPG.

I have been told a recorder needs a stronger signal to work properly.

Bull.

| Sun 15 Feb 2015 18:48:47 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

^ Ok thanks, I'll double check all this.

| Mon 16 Feb 2015 9:38:49 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

Did another manual retune. I deleted all the existing channels first. It took quite a while (hours)for the EPG to fully populate after this, then was finally able to program things for yesterday evening. Again it cut off the beginning and end of some of the programmes! Just spoke to Digital UK, they are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot! At least they confirmed I was using the right codes.

I could get a new aerial (£200) installed and point it at Midhurst which is nearer and I could buy a new Human box (£140) and still be no better off. Freeveiw sucks.

| Tue 17 Feb 2015 12:21:35 #14 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Steve983 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Did another manual retune. I deleted all the existing channels first. It took quite a while (hours)for the EPG to fully populate after this, then was finally able to program things for yesterday evening. Again it cut off the beginning and end of some of the programmes! Just spoke to Digital UK, they are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot! At least they confirmed I was using the right codes.
    I could get a new aerial (£200) installed and point it at Midhurst which is nearer and I could buy a new Human box (£140) and still be no better off. Freeveiw sucks.

Were those programmes on channels that actually use Accurate-Recording? Tell us the programmes and somebody will no doubt tell us whether AR is used on those channels or not. I recorded some stuff from Quest a while ago and it was obvious that their implementation of AR was to start and stop at the schedule time.

What about your channels that are there one week and gone the next, were they from Rowridge? Did you have duplicates of those channels at channel numbers 800 and above?

| Tue 17 Feb 2015 16:39:34 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

Biggles - 1 hour ago  » 

Steve983 - 4 hours ago  » 

Were those programmes on channels that actually use Accurate-Recording? Tell us the programmes and somebody will no doubt tell us whether AR is used on those channels or not. I recorded some stuff from Quest a while ago and it was obvious that their implementation of AR was to start and stop at the schedule time.
    What about your channels that are there one week and gone the next, were they from Rowridge? Did you have duplicates of those channels at channel numbers 800 and above?

I don't know what AR is. Channel 4 programmes ended early, BBC2 started late. I have the Humax box set to 'on time' if that helps. All my channels come from Rowridge. When I do a manual search using the Midhurst codes (the nearest Transmitter to me) I get 'no channels found' every time, it is not pointing to Midhurst.

Not sure what 800 numbers are or how I tell if I have duplicates. Do you mean if I have channels appearing on more than one code?

It seems to me that if I can watch tv ok (apart from the channels that vanish) then it is the 9300 that is at fault.

| Tue 17 Feb 2015 17:48:53 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

I spoke to a techie at Humax yesterday, he blames the BBC or other broadcasters for sending incorrect signals for start & end times. From this chat I've now decided to
    1. Format the HD
    2. Drop the series link function and set the box to start early and finish late - a bit like the good old VHS days!

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 9:17:17 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Steve983 - 15 hours ago
    I don't know what AR is.

AR - accurate recording, first page of manual once opened, although they do refer to it later as 'Auto Tracking' which isn't helpful

800 numbers, bbc1 tends to be channel number 1 (LCN logical channel number), bbc news - 130 etc. etc. Any duplicates will be put in the 800's, trouble is you won't easily know which duplicate you really want to keep which causes the problems

Do you have any 800 numbers?

It's unusual for bbc2 and C4 to get AR wrong.

Does the aerial go first into the 9300T and from there to the TV?

I'd try a factory reset after taking a note of the recording schedule, 'Default Setting', under menu -> installation and let it autotune, check for 800+ numbers and report back with how the aerial is connected, whether there were 800 numbers before and after a 'default reset'

Just seen your latest post, I don't think formatting the HD will achieve anything, although it is useful once in a blue moon, if there's nothing left to keep on it.

bbc rarely get AR wrong, I can't imagine you've been unlucky enough just to record those rare occasions

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 9:35:45 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Steve983 - 16 minutes ago  » 
    I spoke to a techie at Humax yesterday, he blames the BBC or other broadcasters for sending incorrect signals for start & end times.

Oh dear; the standard of the advice offered by Humax is very poor at times. The signals on BBC channels are generally speaking very accurate and this becomes obvious when you use one of the later Humax HD PVRs where accurate recording works very well.

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 9:36:24 #19 |
  10. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Steve983
    It seems to me that if I can watch tv ok (apart from the channels that vanish) then it is the 9300 that is at fault.

Both my 9200 and my friend's 9300 record the programmes we want using Accurate-Recording (AR) very reliably, it's a very rare event if any programme content is lost so I don't think you can totally blame your 9300.

If you have followed my Manual Search instructions correctly you won't have any duplicate channels in the 800 range, however an Automatic Search may well bring in duplicate channels if you are in range of more than one transmitter. Being in range of more than one transmitter could change from day to day depending on atmospheric conditions. You report a signal strength of around 70% for your good channels (presumably from Rowridge), after a correct Manual Search all your channels should report a signal strength in that order and none should 'vanish'.

As mentioned earlier formatting the hard disk won't have any effect on your problems, you will just lose all your recordings.

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 11:15:03 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.