My Humax Forum » Forum Site » Site Issues / Problems

Security issue with forum?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

antuk

I just received a scam email trying to blackmail me. I would usually ignore these, but this one included a password that i've used in the past. The only example of me using this particular password (according to my password database) is this forum from when i registered several years back. Has anyone else received one of these emails? Thanks.

| Fri 27 Jul 2018 13:45:24 #1 |
  2. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Not yet, but unfortunately password "theft" is rife on the WWW. Your PC may have been compromised. Have you tried any of the IoT scanners? R-

| Fri 27 Jul 2018 14:36:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

antuk

RogerB - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Not yet, but unfortunately password "theft" is rife on the WWW. Your PC may have been compromised. Have you tried any of the IoT scanners? R-

I just assumed someone had got hold of a data dump from an old website security breach (of which there have been many on the net over the years, it's rife as you say), so hopefully not a big issue. Given it's an old password that hasn't been actively used for a few years (this thread is the first time i've logged in here for 5 years) I'll assume my Mac hasn't been compromised, but I'll see about doing a scan nontheless. Thanks.

To clarify, I'm not saying this forum has a security issue. It's possible i've used the same password on another site in the past and since changed it on that site (and updated my password database). Usually pretty good about having a diffierent password for each site but i guess not.

| Fri 27 Jul 2018 15:04:35 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Have you used the Tapatalk app on this website at any point?

| Fri 27 Jul 2018 15:19:50 #4 |
  5. RogerB

RogerB

special member

If you've got only a Mac then you might struggle to find a free IoT scanner as they seem to be Windows based. What you are actually scanning is your internet access (across all your devices) via your router, so it's still worth doing if you have a Windows machine at home. You will see any potential weaknesses reported. R-

| Fri 27 Jul 2018 15:23:17 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

antuk

Faust - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Have you used the Tapatalk app on this website at any point?

I haven't. At least not recently. It looks like i posted on here about 5+ years ago, followed by this thread.

In case anyone else has received one of these emails, it's nothing to worry about. This article from BoingBoing a week ago echoes the scam email I received today. Same scammer.
    https://boingboing.net/2018/07/19/oily-rags-r-us.html

It helps knowing the suggested observations in the scam email can not be true (I know what I use my Mac for), so it's an empty threat. Just frustrating that I couldn't identify the source of the data breach. So long as passwords are periodically updated, and different passwords are used for each service, it's no big deal. Thanks for the replies.

| Fri 27 Jul 2018 15:37:10 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.