My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Sharing/streaming video files on a PC to the FOX T2

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andykeys

Probably a dumb question but can anyone outline whether it would be possible (or practical) to play back video files via a FOX T2 when those files are still residing on a PC hard disk (windows xp).

I have knowledge of homeplug networking and conversion of video formats (if required) but I do not have much idea about what the FOX T2 is capable of. Also, I don't know much about 'streaming video' from a PC (if streaming is necessary).

In our situation, the files have been uploaded from a camcorder to the PC... but viewing the files on the PC is not as comfortable as being in front of the TV (with FOX T2 attached).

Many Thanks for any comments / questions.

| Sat 19 Nov 2011 16:05:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

podman

Hi Andy, do you have the latest firmware for the humax? if the pc is on a wireless network it should show up. you also need to share videos, music etc. Once you have done all of these hit the media button and select the type of file you are after, music, video, picture then select storage change it to network. You should then see your pc show up with a list of users, navigate to the user and folder you are looking for and you should see the files.

Currently playing file from my netbook wirelessly to router, humax, to tv to surround sound.

| Sat 19 Nov 2011 17:17:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

andykeys

Hi podman,
    Thanks for your post - I can confirm that the humax is currently on software version 1.01.04 but I will be updating it to the latest version (which I read is 1.02.20) before trying anything new.

Good to hear that you can access media files that reside on your netbook. I guess that you had to enable 'file sharing' on your netbook but then you can see the 'folders and files' on the humax ? Interesting that you mention 'navigate to the user' - am I correct in thinking these are user profiles on your netbook ? (by the way, what operating system is on your netbook ?).
    Many Thanks
    Andy Keys

| Sat 19 Nov 2011 17:34:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

campbells

Easier, perhaps, just to connect your TV (assuming flatscreen with a VGA connector) as an extra screen to your PC/laptop, and bypass the Humax: if you use VLC as a media player (it's very good and very versatile), and a wireless keyboard (eg Keysonic ACK540RF) then you can control the player from TV viewing position: it works well for me.

| Wed 23 Nov 2011 17:12:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

campbells

Easier, perhaps, just to connect your TV (assuming flatscreen with a VGA connector) as an extra screen to your PC/laptop, and bypass the Humax: if you use VLC as a media player (it's very good and very versatile), and a wireless keyboard (eg Keysonic ACK540RF) then you can control the player from TV viewing position: it works well for me.

| Wed 23 Nov 2011 17:13:05 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

welly

Hi,

picking up on the wireless connected humax/pc thread here.

Does any one know what file types (Video/Photo/Music/etc) that the humax can detect and playback? I have located some AVI files on my pc via my wireless link to the humax but humax doesn't appear to recognize these files.

thanks

| Thu 24 Nov 2011 13:05:09 #5 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

podman

Hi as long as you have files on your pc which are shared they should show up when you connect. You don't need to pc to be logged on to a particular user to view that users pc stored files.

I use imediashare on my android and can stream to the tv via the humax.

| Fri 25 Nov 2011 22:57:21 #6 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

scsjason

Hi,
    I was trying this last night. I tried a variety of UPnP and DLNA servers, none of which seemed to work. Some were just never seen by the Humax, some were visible but once you navigate to a directory of files the humax would hang then reboot, and the last one I tried I managed to play music, and I managed to see a directory of images but when I selected an image it just seemed to eventually give up. As for video, I navigate to a directory of videos that I can play over the network using XBMC (on my aTV) but the humax just showed me an empty directory. Are there only certain video formats it is capable of displaying?

thanks

| Thu 1 Dec 2011 10:47:01 #7 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MuggeMax

I have a similar problem. I can play a variety of video formats (mp4, avchd, wmv). However I have converted some video from mpg to pm4 as well as to wmv and the Humax will not pick them up (eventhough there are videos which I have not converted that are already in mp4 and wmv which it does play fine). The files I have converted are bigger in size (>1gb)than the files I have been able to read so far, but would file size be a problem? Would welcome some ideas or suggestions of software that can convert my mpg files into a format that the Humax will read. Many thanks.

| Sat 17 Dec 2011 11:40:41 #8 |
  10. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Not sure if the HDR suffers the same 4GB bug (stop playback beyond this value) when acting as a DLNA client like the HD - must test this out soon. It should play back any file smaller than this just fine, and will play any file greater than 4GB up to that 4GB limit point.

My single MP4 format test works on the HDR via USB attached drive. I will test some more MP4 videos out and update this table: http://myhumax.org/wiki/index.php/Media_Playback

See AVS Video Convertor blog posts for video converting: http://myhumax.org/blog/?cat=27

EDIT: Just did a couple of more tests. The additions plays fine.

You could download MediaInfo and test to see what the video file format are actually.

| Sat 17 Dec 2011 18:19:29 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.