My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Stuttering Pictures

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulius55

I have an HDR 2000T and am seeing a lot of stuttering when viewing through the box. This happens a lot on channels such as Quest. It appears to be a buffering issue. The motion freezes for a second or 2 then jumps forward to live again. While this happens, the sound continues as normal. If I view the same channel directly via the TV it does not do it. The BBC/ITV main channels don't appear to have a problem. When the problem was particularly bad I paused the live stream for a few seconds, then pressed play. This stopped the freezing but there was a glitch, like very minor blocking, whenever the freezing would have occurred, if that makes sense. My signal is strong and very low in errors. Any ideas?. I just had a thought when I typed the last sentence, could the signal be too strong?

| Sun 20 Nov 2016 17:20:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

paulius55 - 1 hour ago  » 
    My signal is strong and very low in errors. Any ideas?. I just had a thought when I typed the last sentence, could the signal be too strong?

Tell us the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax on the problematic channels. Yes too high a signal strength can be a problem if it overloads the tuners.

| Sun 20 Nov 2016 18:53:06 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulius55

Will do as soon as the recordings have finished, as the signal strength option is greyed out. Interestingly, the offending channel is not stuttering while the unit is recording 2 other channels, could it be that the signal is now being shared between the live buffer and the 2 tuners and is therefore reduced?

| Sun 20 Nov 2016 21:50:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Was happening on 5USA this evening. Latterly during NCIS Los Angeles about every two minutes.

| Sun 20 Nov 2016 21:53:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi Paulius.

I reckon its a weak signal, interference or misaligned,faulty aerial which will cause stuttering problems. I can only assume the picture pauses because its missing packets of data due to interference or aerial problems

Its the stage before the picture just goes black with the weak signal message.

Ive seen what you have experienced and it was casued by some fault in the aerial system. It only happened to me on an HD band but its now all working fine.

Whats interesting is sometimes rarely my telly tuner will go blocky but ive never seen the Humax tuner do that so its not a bad tuner in the unit

Im afraid it can be a frustrating process of elimination starting with your local transmitter and finding if they are doing any work or whether your area/street gets a good signal. Then its a case of working out if your aerial is up to date on spec..amy buidings trees in the way etc etc...It can be niggly as there are quite a few factors to consider

Some sort it with an aerial engineer on call out which isnt cheap. Luckily my landlord sorted out the aerial system which was usually pretty good so fingers crossed everything is working well now. Oh how I hate not having my own aerial so you may have more control than me there.

All the best with it

| Tue 22 Nov 2016 5:05:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulius55

I am not convinced that it is a low signal. I checked the signal strength and quality of each MUX with the Humax and the lowest was 93/100 and the average was 98/100. It only happens on particular channels. Having said that, for 2 days now it has not done it, may be hard to track down.

| Tue 22 Nov 2016 9:37:26 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Tend to agree with Paulius as I am on a communal dish. I experience also a momentarily loss of picture (not sound nor the box turning off) for just a split second and that is on the 5 network. As I have posted elsewhere. That happens at least twice per week. Plus for example the wife watches Neighbours and they put a notice on the screen of the next programme. It stutters then. Like Pasulius the afore mentioned stuttering has abated.

| Tue 22 Nov 2016 9:54:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

paulius55 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I am not convinced that it is a low signal. I checked the signal strength and quality of each MUX with the Humax and the lowest was 93/100 and the average was 98/100. It only happens on particular channels.

In my experience those signal strengths are too high. I would suggest if the problem returns then you try an attenuator in the aerial feed and aim for a signal strength of around 80%. Anything over about 45% should work well and at one time we had a signal strength of around 30% for several months with few problems.

| Tue 22 Nov 2016 11:17:17 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes it was interesting when I hooked up another box the signal strength was on a different scale. One box read 38% to 58% and the Humax was reading in the 78% area. Makes me wonder whats going on there but both boxes were displaying a fine picture.

I just think occasionally the data transmission does get interupted considering the amount of channels broadcast over the airwaves Im amazed that I have 100GB of recording already with no glitches considering the vast amount of data stored.

In terms of picture quality the Humax 2000T has been superb

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 1:54:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

patsy - 2 days ago  » 
    Was happening on 5USA this evening. Latterly during NCIS Los Angeles about every two minutes.

I also had this problem with NCIS:LA.
    I don't think this is the same problem as the original poster.
    I found that the same thing occurred on 5USA+1 at exactly the same point in the programme - the fault must have been elsewhere.
    Strangely, I have had similar problems with NCIS:LA on CBS Action - although no other channel on the same multiplex seems to have a fault.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 10:37:41 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.