My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

TalkTalk YouView box.

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I'm an existing TalkTalk BB customer and they have just sent me an offer that, based simply on the financials alone, is very attractive vs my current BB only package. It includes their "Plus TV" package which is a free YouView box thrown in with the BB + TV + Line Rental charges. I already have a Humax 1000S sat HDR and the YouView box would supplement rather than replace that.
    The one negative I have read is that the supplied YouView box is, quote, "rubbish".
    Anyone have any experience of the TalkTalk YouView service and would like to share their thoughts?

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 9:11:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You could throw away recycle the freebie and buy a Humax YouView box to access the TalkTalk multicast channels.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 9:42:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I took up talktalk's (TT) normal essentials TV offer when renewing my contract just to see what all the fuss was about as it didn't cost any extra. I can't remember if TT valued the box at something like £199 or £149 for marketing purposes; however it's rubbish, sluggish, feels like 5 mins to start up, probably only 3-4 mins and could pause live HD for 12 minutes, worth less than a tenner.

They offered 3 months access to films I didn't want to watch and if I didn't cancel the free 3 months on time they'd start charging. Originally they offered the Humax box on the TV+ package, but more or less straight away they had their own Huawei boxes in place valued at a laughable £299. You'll need to look on the TT forum to gauge what people think about the box.

It's all about up selling with TT, they're not alone in wanting to flog extras. Personally I don't think the 1/2 price for 6 months on a 2 year contract is good value; however compared to Sky etc. it probably is a lot cheaper.
    You won't get TT support for non TT equipment, but if your current BB is solid then this shouldn't be a problem. If you add up what TV+ will cost extra over the next 24 months then you may find you could have bought 2 decent new youview boxes and still be quids in.
    I have no interest in the extra dross or paying an extra £132 a year for the ability to pay even more to access premium channels/films/sport. You'll also need a decent BB connection, solid 5Mbs or better.
    I keep on getting offers from Virgin, Sky and the like saving me over £300 a year by not spending over a £1,000 only £700 something. The whole thing's a joke dreamt up by the type of people you see on the apprentice. If you want to go down the paid content route then I'm sure TT will be the most cost effective.
    Bear in mind though the contract's likely to be for 24 months, it may make more sense to switch to TT TV essentials and get a Humax youview box separately. The TT forum:
    http://community.talktalk.co.uk/
    is likely to offer more guidance on the Huawei box and level of service.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 11:43:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Thanks, you have very well summed up what I had learnt in part from other sites. Given that, the show-stopper for me is the need to sign up to their line rental. I'm currently with BT and make a lot of use of their SmartTalk wi-fi calls while abroad. In effect free calls from abroad to any UK landline. I would lose that service on leaving the BT line rental contract.
    Since this is based on essentially the extras over the current BB contract being free it looks to be a pass on the TT offer.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 12:02:26 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.