My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

TV keeps freezing with FVP 4000T

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mags

Does anyone have an answer to the TV freezing when the Humax box has been in use for several hours? This is the second box in 4 months. We returned the first one to Amazon as it had the same problem and they replaced it immediately (excellent customer service) unfortunately the new box does the same thing. All things have been replaced TV, Roof top aerial and all leads. It appears that this happens when the box gets warm (we are pensioners so the telly is on all through the day and evening). Currently we are attaching the aerial lead to the TV during the day and only using the box at night to record and play back.

| Fri 15 Apr 2016 16:26:30 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Yes I have the same problem with my 4000T, when you switch on the 4000T the TV picture will freeze for about 5 seconds until the box warms up. This because it temporarily cuts off the loop through to the TV on start up. To get round this try using a Aerial slitter, this should cure your problem on your TV.

If you are meaning its the tuner from the 4000T that's breaking up, then first check the signal strength in settings around 80% is good, then check to make sure you have no lose connections.

My advice is to make sure in settings that the low power mode is switched off, this will give you loop through to your TV when the box is in standby or use a splitter as I said above, then only turn on the box out of standby when you want to view a program on it. ( Note the 4000T only gets warm when it on, but stays cold when in standby off) it will still record OK in standby. Hope this helps.

| Sat 16 Apr 2016 11:05:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mags

Thanks for that but the problem is not on switch on it is an intermittent fault during any live program (any channel) the picture suddenly starts to freeze some times it breaks up also. As our roof top ariel was quite old we had a firm out to replace it and the ariel lead coming into the house. If this is happening when recording a programme it will show when we play the recording. Sorry if I am not explaining very well but all this new technology is a bit past me.

| Sat 16 Apr 2016 14:28:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

From my experience Humax tuners are more sensitive than a TV tuner.
    Have had another PVR of another make and how did that perform ?.
    Have you got any interference that could case it round your area ?.
    The thing is Amazon sell a lot of goods for other suppliers, maybe not saying but maybe the replacement they send you was from same supplier and they may be a faulty batch, I don't know as I have had a couple of faulty goods off Amazon, but they have always been glad to replaced them.

Did you buy as new and did you take out the Humax 2 year warranty ?.
    you could also give Humax a ring on 0344 3188 800 or e-mail them at uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk.

If you don't get any joy try sending it back to Amazon and get your money back and go to some where like Argos or Curry's.

I hope this will help some how.

| Sat 16 Apr 2016 22:58:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I wouldn't recommend sending anyone to Currys if there is even an outside chance they may need to take the product back at some point for a refund - that's a whole world of pain in itself. I'm no longer sure Argos is much better.

I would be choosing the likes of John Lewis or Richer Sounds. TBH the 4000T is turning into a nightmare product for Humax and I wouldn't touch the current iteration with a bargepole.

| Sat 16 Apr 2016 23:31:05 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Argos seems to be very good for sending stuff back, I am not sure about Curry's, some people say they are OK and say they are a pain.

I bought my Humax 4000T from Argos, it seems to be OK not many problems except if I manually record a program say 5 minutes before and say 10 minutes after to get a film, you get the title of the program before it and the information of the program after the film very strange, but if record by the EPG its fine. I rang Humax they told me to do a factory reset, but that did not work ether, other wise I don't seem to have no other problems with it.
    I must be one of the lucky ones and have a good one.

| Sun 17 Apr 2016 11:04:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

bill63 - 1 hour ago  » ...if I manually record a program say 5 minutes before and say 10 minutes after to get a film, you get the title of the program before it and the information of the program after the film...

That happens also on the HDR1000S series. It's simply picking up the meta-data broadcast by the channel and since you're starting before and finishing after you get the wrong data.

| Sun 17 Apr 2016 12:42:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

I have also got the Humax 2000T and it constantly updates information as its recording, which is a great idea because if you manually record say 10 minutes ether way, you get the information & title for the first program, the information & title for the film or what you are recording, and the information & title for the last program. All you have to do is press the info button on play back such a great idea.

The main trouble with 4000T is there is no info button, you have to press OK twice to get the information, plus you have to stop play back to bring up the information which a bit of a pain because if my wife or myself wants to know what film or program we are watching we have to stop the play back instead of just pressing the info button. But with the 2000T we just hand over the remote a press info with out stopping play back .
    But other than that I have no other issues with it.

| Sun 17 Apr 2016 13:09:48 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

As forum member Stephenesque originally posted and I have repeated since, you can access the programme info whilst playing back a recording by using the recent function:

I'll add this to our FAQ's - Done

Home
    Down Arrow
    Highlight Recent, OK
    Highlight the desired programme and press OK.

| Sun 17 Apr 2016 13:48:41 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

bill63 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Argos seems to be very good for sending stuff back, I am not sure about Curry's, some people say they are OK and say they are a pain.
    I bought my Humax 4000T from Argos, it seems to be OK not many problems except if I manually record a program say 5 minutes before and say 10 minutes after to get a film, you get the title of the program before it and the information of the program after the film very strange, but if record by the EPG its fine. I rang Humax they told me to do a factory reset, but that did not work ether, other wise I don't seem to have no other problems with it.
    I must be one of the lucky ones and have a good one.

I don't really understand what you mean by manually record. If you are already on the channel in question then rewind the buffer and hit the record button - that's it, or if film is about to start then select through EPG and hit record. I don't think I've ever needed to record my programmes any other way since the advent of PVR's.

| Sun 17 Apr 2016 16:06:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.