My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Using recorder on wi fi. Or ethernt connection

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jackw

Can a humax recorder work on a wi fi or Ethernet connection only, especially bbc iPlayer and ITV hub.
    Ie with no sat dish connection
    Jack Williamson

| Wed 25 Jul 2018 15:36:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If your talking about a Freesat box there is no way to set it up without a dish aligned on 28.2E.

There are much easier and cheaper ways to get catch up. eg a smart phone, PC or tablet and a chromecast.

Welcome to our forum.

| Wed 25 Jul 2018 15:42:06 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jackw

Graham,
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
    My main reason is to be able to record .
    If I can explain further,I live some time of the year in Morocco.
    I can get sky tv on my 2.4mtr dish but as you may know bbc and ITV are no longer on the south beam.
    I can watch them on FilmOn tv , can not record.
    Hence me investigating the humax option any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Yours
    Jack williamson

| Wed 25 Jul 2018 16:00:02 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A Humax unit would give much the same options as a Sky unit except you would need to set it up in the UK as the freesat transponder is on a UK beam.

A smartdns service would allow most on demand but test them first (most offer a free trial to see they are setup for all you want.)

| Wed 25 Jul 2018 16:17:00 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jackw - 1 minute ago  » 
    Graham,
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
    My main reason is to be able to record .
    If I can explain further,I live some time of the year in Morocco.
    I can get sky tv on my 2.4mtr dish but as you may know bbc and ITV are no longer on the south beam.
    I can watch them on FilmOn tv , can not record.
    Hence me investigating the humax option any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Yours
    Jack williamson

You can't use a pvr to record anything other than giving it's tuners a signal ie A dish and lnb for a freesat box or a terrestrial aerial.

None of the Humax boxes will record catch up apart from a custom firmware equipped HDR-FOX-T2 as it's terrestrial not much use.

IP solution with SmartDNS or VPN paired with a HDMI games recorder or DVDR might work.

If you have a decent broadband in the UK you may be able to use a satellite or Freeview IP streaming server like a VBOX to access recordings and live TV.

https://www.vboxcomm.com/product-page.html

http://community.vboxcomm.com/viewtopic.php?t=5

Even if you could use the catch up services geolocking may well stop you even using them.

A smaller motorised dish should get you some channels in English, see this thread.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/satellite-in-tossa-de-mar.2177725/

If you post in the satellite threads as above, Pedro will give you some orbital points.

| Wed 25 Jul 2018 16:24:09 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.