My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

very slow EPG commands

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kayell

I have raised this problem before and it appears it is down to to the Humax download 1.03.12 which they forced upon us recently.
    I know the answer is to download software 1.02.32 to put it back to how it was before Humax interfered but for the life of me I can't get it to be accepted. I do the download, open it with express zip software, make sure the name of the file is hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf and follow the instructions available on line regarding switching off and then on of the Hummy. I expect it to upload on to the Hummy but nothing at all happens. After inserting the usb stick and switching the Hummy back on all that happens is the TV comes on and nothing appears regarding the installing of the new file.

Anyone any idea where I am going wrong please?
    thanks

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 12:43:57 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you are using windows explorer do you have set "Hide file extensions for know file types"?
    Id so you can either turn it off or display the file properties to re-check the name.
    I presume the file is in the root folder?

Check also you are not within 15 mins of a recording starting.

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 15:51:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

just in case you're still having problems...

you don't mention what size usb stick or usb2.0/3.0?
    2/4/8 GB usb2.0 shouldn't present any problems normally

anyway, if you're having problems, and yes others have never needed to do this as they've never had problems, copy whatever you want to keep off the usb stick and fully format it properly to fat32, not a quick format.

Unzip the download so that you have a file named hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf somewhere on your pc/laptop etc.
    copy this across to the usb stick, put the humax into standby, wait (listen) for the disk to spin down, switch off the humax, put the usb stick in the front slot, switch back on again and it should start loading the upgrade file.

You will lose iplayer and you may find that bbc3/4 HD don't record properly. The really slow EPG is a right pain and I don't believe humax will or want to fix it as the same slow code bit/function is probably used in the newer boxes with faster processors and more memory and hence not so much of a pain. Before you downgrade try using the work around of jumping/paging up and down the EPG with the channel up/down buttons, it's not as easy on the eye as you'll lose the permanent contact you'd have had with scrolling, but any work around has to be better than the dismal EPG speed. If you can't live with it then downgrade, but as mentioned that will bring its own problems.

let us know how you got on and what worked/didn't-work

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 2:54:00 #3 |
  4. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The rewind and fast forward buttons give you two hour jumps in the EPG. You can scroll quickly using these but can still see what you are doing.

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 4:02:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

kayell

Thanks for all help so far. When I go into my downloads and extract the download using Express Zip I extract it to my usb stick. When checking the stick I see the entry "hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf" then it says "Type HDF file" and shows the size as 18,978 kb.
    Using this stick which is a 16gb stick which has been fully formatted to FAT32 and has nothing else on it, it still doesn't work when I plug it in the Hummy.
    I must be still doing something wrong???????

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 18:37:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

usb2.0 or usb3.0

my 16GB usb3.0 won't work, the 16GB usb2.0 does

just to be sure, you're putting it into standby, blue ring changes to orange, can take 5-10 mins, switching off at mains, plugging in usb stick and switching back on again?

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 19:45:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

damian - 1 hour ago  » 
    usb2.0 or usb3.0
    my 16GB usb3.0 won't work, the 16GB usb2.0 does

I've used a 128GB flash USB 3.0 and also a 1TB HDD USB 3.0.

It has taken me a long time to find one that did not work. It was a 32GB USB 2.0 with an SL1 chip.

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 21:49:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

kayell - 3 hours ago  » When checking the stick I see the entry "hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf" then it says "Type HDF file"

Is that with or without your PC settings set to show the file's extension. On at least some Windows' OS the default is off. It could be that your file is called "hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf.hdf".

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 21:51:53 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 2 minutes ago  » 

kayell - 3 hours ago  » When checking the stick I see the entry "hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf" then it says "Type HDF file"

Is that we or without your PC settings set to show the file's extension. On at least some Window's the default is off. It could be that your file is called "hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf.hdf".

Hide known file extensions is the default on all recent versions of Windows (probably started with XP - heaven knows why). Simple answer to try is right click on the file in Windows Explorer and choose properties. This may show the actual file extension.

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 21:57:45 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Not always. Even in properties this can show up as "hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf" even when it is "hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf.hdf" if the PC thinks it recognises "hdf".

Edit:
    Just had another go. Properties opens on the general tab. In that tab it shows the same as Explorer. Clicking in the 'Details' tab shows the real name.

| Mon 9 Mar 2015 22:02:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.