My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Watching program whilst recording same program

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

While watching a program in Time shift mode e.g. a 5 minute delay, when the actual program comes to the end the PVR automatically switches out of time shift mode. This is annoying.

| Fri 11 Dec 2015 13:09:09 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try pressing the instant recording button, then watch the resulting recording in chasing playback.

| Fri 11 Dec 2015 13:14:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Hi Graham, are you suggesting that as a work around or try this and see if it works? I do need it to be on a scheduled record and the PVR should not be doing something which I've not asked it to do.

| Fri 11 Dec 2015 14:13:12 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

J_Oz - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham, are you suggesting that as a work around or try this and see if it works? I do need it to be on a scheduled record and the PVR should not be doing something which I've not asked it to do.

I don't have a FVP-4000T but this works on all the Humax pvrs I own or have owned. If you have a scheduled recording, then rather than watch the live transmission, watch the recording as it is being recorded from the media list (Chasing Playback). Hint using the forward skip key when near real time playback avoids jumping out of the recording to live TV.

If you watch a ITV 1 HR recording about 15 minutes after it starts, then by skipping the ads you will finish watching about the same time as the live programme finishes.

The problem is the way the box resets the time shift buffer to reflect the new programme. It's this behaviour that allows you to record a complete programme you have watched from the beginning by simply pressing the record button.

| Fri 11 Dec 2015 14:23:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

OK, get your idea about watching the recording but I still believe the box should not be doing something I've not asked it to. Worse, I've asked it to watch in time shift mode and the box says No! you can't.

| Fri 11 Dec 2015 14:30:32 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

J_Oz - 11 minutes ago  » 
    OK, get your idea about watching the recording but I still believe the box should not be doing something I've not asked it to. Worse, I've asked it to watch in time shift mode and the box says No! you can't.

IT's doing what it is supposed to do. The ability to record a complete programme you have started to watch in it's entirety by a single button push, is because the box resets the internal pointer to the current time shift buffer point when a new programme starts. That's how it knows at which point to start recording from the time shift buffer. I don't understand your last post. Watching the recording as it is being made is time shifting.

| Fri 11 Dec 2015 14:46:38 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Hi Graham, I would say that time shifting is watching a program at a different point in time other than the point at which it is currently into the broadcast.
    I don't understand what your point is about the internal pointer. What function are you saying can be performed.
    The machine should do as I have requested (I do know more about what I want to do with the PVR than it does)

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 9:53:21 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

J_Oz - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Graham, I would say that time shifting is watching a program at a different point in time other than the point at which it is currently into the broadcast.
    I don't understand what your point is about the internal pointer. What function are you saying can be performed.
    The machine should do as I have requested (I do know more about what I want to do with the PVR than it does)

If you select and watch a recording as it is being recorded you are watching a programme at a different point in time to the current live broadcast. You can watch at any point from the beginning of the programme to approx. 2 minutes behind the live transmission (depending on what setting you have for the forward skip time).

The box is designed to allow recording a programme from the time shift buffer.

If you start to watch a programme and then decide you want to record all of it (perhaps you want to go out or switch to another live programme), if you press the instant record button it will record from the beginning of the current programme to the end of it with a single button press. To do this the box needs to mark the point at which the programme started within the time shift buffer file.

Obviously if have a scheduled recording already in progress there is no need to use the time shift buffer in the above manner, simply select the recording file instead. You can then watch from any point within the existing recorded content, which seems to me exactly what you want to do.

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 11:23:01 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

No Graham, what I want the box to do is exactly what I have asked it to do.
    As for the time shift buffer you are referring to, it must be possible to set up more than one of these, after all it is nothing physical, merely a software pointer.

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 12:23:30 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

J_Oz - 33 seconds ago  » 
    No Graham, what I want the box to do is exactly what I have asked it to do.
    As for the time shift buffer you are referring to, it must be possible to set up more than one of these, after all it is nothing physical, merely a software pointer.

There is only one time shift buffer file, it is continuously recorded to when full it starts recording at the beginning (It has a reserved area of the hard disk allocated to it). I honestly cannot see why you simply cannot play back the ongoing recording. End of discussion for me. Afiak no one else has posted this as an issue incidentally.

| Sat 12 Dec 2015 12:28:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.