My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Why no DLNA for the stand-alone Humax Youview

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I suppose then it does make a private purchase of the Humax Youview box from the likes of JL particularly poor value for money?

| Sun 26 Oct 2014 21:24:01 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

As one's only or principal PVR, I'd say so. But as a supplementary box, the T2000 now seems to me quite desirable. It seems to be reliable, unlike the T1000, it has an excellent search, the VOD offerings are improving, and some of the most annoying bugs have been cured.

I'll wait to see what I can get from Plusnet, and if they don't come up with the goods, very likely I'll buy one from Richer Sounds, who do that nice 5-year guarantee.

| Sun 26 Oct 2014 22:04:16 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Are things like Sky Now quite limited for the private consumer as opposed to an ISP subscription though?

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 9:04:08 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The Sky Now version on YouView currently is only the movies. The recent update makes it possible for Sky to add the channels, same as on the Sky Roku. The BT/TT Sky channels are multicast, which is a whole different ballgame.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 9:30:15 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

So really what you imply and what I believed to be the case is that Youview as a private purchase is more like Youview Lite. Whereas the ISP version is 'full fat'.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 18:52:27 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Eh? I'm not implying anything at all.

What you can get with a YouView box doesn't depend on whether the YouView box is purchased retail or not. It depends on subscription status. With any Humax YouView box (not sure about Huawei boxes), regardless of where you got it from, you get the free YouView service, which is the Freeview channels plus catchup etc. IF you sign up with BT or TalkTalk for broadband and TV, you get the extra channels which you're paying for. You can see what's available if you go to the BT/TT website, provided you can interpret BT's arcane assembly of packages.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 19:10:43 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 40 minutes ago  » 
    What you can get with a YouView box doesn't depend on whether the YouView box is purchased retail or not. It depends on subscription status. With any Humax YouView box (not sure about Huawei boxes), regardless of where you got it from, you get the free YouView service, which is the Freeview channels plus catchup etc. IF you sign up with BT or TalkTalk for broadband and TV, you get the extra channels which you're paying for. You can see what's available if you go to the BT/TT website, provided you can interpret BT's arcane assembly of packages.

So to be clear then, if you purchase retail then all the extra channels are not available, even if you could pay? The only way to get the full fat offering is through ISP subscription?

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 19:54:48 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 7 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 40 minutes ago  » 

So to be clear then, if you purchase retail then all the extra channels are not available, even if you could pay? The only way to get the full fat offering is through ISP subscription?

Read my post again. It doesn't depend on whether or not it's a retail box, it depends on whether or not you subscribe.

Say you have a retail Youview box and you decide you want to get TalkTalk's TV service. You would need to move to TalkTalk for broadband, and subscribe to the TV service. Same with BT although with BT you might end up with two YouView boxes.

I don't know what you mean by "even if you could pay". You can't pay for an ISP's multicast TV service unless you're getting their broadband. Once you've subscribed to their broadband, then you can pay, and get their TV service.

(Multicast being how the channels are delivered. Now that HTML5 has been implemented, unicast linear channels become feasible, meaning that Sky will be able to add its "Entertainment Pack" to the YouView NowTV portal, and YouView might in theory be able at last to deliver IPTV channels in the Freeview 200 range, such as VuTV etc. Supposing VUTV wanted to appear on YouView .)

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 20:15:40 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

We are actually arguing about two sides of the same thing. What I am saying is e.g if I buy a retail Youview box and subscribe to Joe Bloggs BB then what I will get is Youview lite. If I subscribe to BT or TT and pay for extra services then I can get Youview full fat.

Even if I paid extra to Joe Bloggs BB I still wouldn't get the services I could get with BT or TT.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 21:31:38 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

???

Of course. You have to pay whoever owns the service. If you want BT TV, you have to pay BT. If you want TalkTalk TV, you have to pay TalkTalk. It's no good paying some other ISP.

This is so obviously true that I can only suppose that I am misunderstanding your question.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 21:51:30 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.