My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Wi-Fi connection to BTinternet

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, I've just set up my HDR-2000T and all went well except for the humax portal - the Wf-Fi connection seems ok but it won't connect to the internet. Any Ideas anyone?

Regards, Peter Howard

| Wed 6 Aug 2014 15:20:44 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

A few more details would help!

To use wifi the HDR-2000T needs a wifi dongle. Are you using one and have you checked that it is working by using it in a PC?

In what way does the connection appear OK?

What have you tried so far? And what happened?

Also if you use an ethernet cable to connect the HDR-2000T does that work?

| Wed 6 Aug 2014 15:35:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Thanks for the reply. The HDR-2000T was brand new; I used the Humax dongle that came with it and I assume it works OK.

I set up the wi-fi connection in the normal way, selected the BT hub from the list and put in its password. The screen message told me all was OK so I assume they were talking to each other via the wireless. I applied the DCHP settings for the network connection and that was accepted.

When I press the YouTV button on the remote it tells me it can't connect to the internet. The BT hub has three other devices on it which can use the internet so the hub is OK. I assume it's some setting between the Humax and the hub which needs changing. Any ideas?

| Wed 6 Aug 2014 18:19:53 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, did a bit of research around the topic.

For those with BT Home Hub 4.0 type A like me, the following settings worked:-

Go into wifi lan settings and change the IP address to 192.168.1.50 - I think the original had the last two digits set as 71.

The other settings should be:-

Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254
    DNS server 192.168.1.254

I think they were already set like this and the only change was the .71 to .50 for the IP address. My unit reset them all to zero when I wanted to change them from DCHP to manual so I had to input all the digits.

When setting one or two digit numbers, put the relevant number of zeros first - the unit expects three digits. So, to set .1, use .001 and to set .50 use .050.

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 11:10:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

So does it work ok now?

I'm finding that a strong wi-fi signal is needed to make the portal work although this may be partly due to the Humax wi-fi dongle not being terribly effective?

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 19:24:11 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Victor Delta - 4 minutes ago  » 
    So does it work ok now?
    I'm finding that a strong wi-fi signal is needed to make the portal work although this may be partly due to the Humax wi-fi dongle not being terribly effective?

or the signal being very directional?

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 19:29:33 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

Even with a wi-fi extender close to the Humax (2-3m), the portal runs slowly. However, when I connect the extender to the Humax directly with a LAN cable, it runs like a dream.

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 19:45:39 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Is it a possibility the nearby Wifi signals are using the same channel?

Isee a number of posts elsewhere don't think much of the BT Home Hub 4.0 type A's Wifi range. "Absolute rubbish" on two comments.

| Sat 9 Aug 2014 15:14:20 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

I'm not using a BT Home Hub and the wi-fi channel used is 'quiet' other than my set-up.

| Sat 9 Aug 2014 16:02:03 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Victor Delta - 53 minutes ago  » 
    I'm not using a BT Home Hub and the wi-fi channel used is 'quiet' other than my set-up.

Perhaps you could describe a little more about you setup please and house construction materials. WiFi does not like walls so make up is important.

| Sat 9 Aug 2014 16:57:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.