My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

5.1 Surround

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dodeth

I'm a newcomer to the forum so hi everyone.

Please can anyone confirm whether or not 5.1 surround sound is possible via optical out? Alternatively,if HDMI is required would it be possible to use a HDMI splitter that would feed the TV with video and my home theatre system with audio?

I know there's not currently much programming with 5.1 content but I'd hate to miss out on anything!

| Wed 23 Apr 2014 14:58:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

To be 100 sure need to know which box, but 5.1 is available on both s/pdif and hdmi on all the Humax HD boxes at the same time, I am familiar with.

S/Pdif supports up to 6 channels (5.1) with the best quality being DTS audio. Freeview-HD has aac audio which the box outputs as Dolby Digital(ac3). Freesat-HD uses ac3 natively.

Welcome to the forum.

| Wed 23 Apr 2014 15:15:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dodeth

Thanks Graham. It's the HDR-1000s which I took delivery of last weekend. Quite impressed up to now to be honest. The remote is not as clear as the Sky version but I'm sure that's just a matter of getting used to the layout. Picture quality is excellent and I've even got DNLA streaming from my NAS without any fuss.

Is there any particular programming that includes 5.1 that I should look out for?

Phil

| Wed 23 Apr 2014 16:14:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

I can confirm that 5.1 DD is possible using the optical as I have it set up this way. You need to be looking at BBC HD as ITV can't do 5.1 DD unless they upgrade their equipment and they have no plans to do this. I'm not sure which shows are output in 5.1 but can confirm that Doctor Who was definitely in 5.1, unfortunately this isn't currently being on air and I'm not sure if the old repeats appear on the HD channel and it wasn't output in 5.1 DD when watching it from catch-up.

Maybe someone else can help with some show names that are in 5.1 DD

| Wed 23 Apr 2014 17:17:30 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Marvels Agents of Sheild on Ch4HD is broadcast in 5.1.
    Films on BBC1 HD & BBC3 HD are usually in 5.1 too.

| Wed 23 Apr 2014 17:18:30 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.