My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Can`t use Box remote to manage HD volume?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dufus

Got my Humax this week (first PVR ever, and it was the wife's idea!). Getting used to it, but prefer the programme guide on my Sony T.V. so I'm happy to stick in a splitter and additional aerial lead until the fabled loop-through fix arrives.

My (open) questions are about sound levels between the H.D. and S.D. channels.

(1) The H.D. channels seem quite a bit louder than the S.D. ones.

(2) The S.D. ones need the T.V. volume to be considerably higher to match what the T.V. produced on its own.

(3) I don`t seem to be able to control the volume of H.D. channels using the Humax remote.

(4) Is this all normal and explainable?

(5) Did Liam Neeson get eaten by the big wolf in "The Grey"?

Thanks for reading.

Dufus

| Sat 14 Jun 2014 20:44:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Dufus - 12 hours ago  » 
    (1) The H.D. channels seem quite a bit louder than the S.D. ones.
    (2) The S.D. ones need the T.V. volume to be considerably higher to match what the T.V. produced on its own.
    (3) I don`t seem to be able to control the volume of H.D. channels using the Humax remote.
    (4) Is this all normal and explainable?

Does changing the Audio output type (Menu button >Settings>Preferences>Audio) to Stereo help?

| Sun 15 Jun 2014 9:11:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dufus

Thanks Martin,

That settings has equalised the volumes between SD and HD and the volume control is working as expected.

The other option in the audio settings was 'multi-channel', can anyone shed any light on this and how it is different to the standard 'stereo' setting.

I`m unlikely to be missing out as sound is through T.V. speakers only anyway.

| Mon 16 Jun 2014 19:10:55 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

With Multi-channel if the signal contains D.D. 5.1 (Normally some HD programmes, especially BBC) it is encoded along with the picture and passed direct to the TV/Amp (and controllable via that device). With Stereo it is decoded to two channel and passed separately as sound.

Edit: I missed this was a terrestrial thread and answered as if this was freesat. Hope they are the same.

| Mon 16 Jun 2014 19:29:03 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 8 minutes ago  » 
    With Multi-channel if the signal contains D.D. 5.1 (Normally some HD programmes, especially BBC) it is encoded along with the picture and passed direct to the TV/Amp (and controllable via that device). With Stereo it is decoded to two channel and passed separately as sound.
    Edit: I missed this was a terrestrial thread and answered as if this was freesat. Hope they are the same.

Pretty much the same, Freeview-HD uses aac audio (2.0 or 5.1) rather than ac3 (Dolby Digital). The box transcodes aac to ac3 for the digital outputs so the end result is the same. This eliminates the extra MP2 Audio Description track required on a Freesat box.

| Mon 16 Jun 2014 19:40:00 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.