My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR-T1000 - Locked out, screen goes magenta

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BigJohnD

My Humax DTR-T1000 is currently being repaired/replaced under warranty following some odd circumstances.

Up until yesterday, the YouView box had worked really well, the only complaint being peak time catch-up streaming over the internet - which is not the fault of the box, just poor local broadband capacity.

Our son returned home with a huge 42" LG TV. It was too big for his bedroom, so we swapped Sony Bravia with him and attached the big LG to the Humax Box. All was fine.

Then the LG became more and more difficult to switch on, becoming locked in standby mode. In the end, the LG would not come on at all, so we put the Sony Bravia back in its place. All was fine.

We then called out a local LG repair service who said the fault was quite common and would test the TV and let us know what needed to be done. All was fine.

Some ten later, the LG repair service returned the TV saying there was nothing wrong with it. He switched it on and all seemed fine.

He then hooked it up to the Humax and there was ITV HD. All seemed fine.

Then an error message appeared on the screen. It said something about being locked out and a code was given. I was bit startled but wanted to write down the message. But before I could do it, the repairman pressed the Humax remote and the picture went magenta.

He then started saying out Humax box was faulty as the TV was fine.

We could see the TV guide over the magenta background, access all the settings menus and even run catchup, but the was no picture or sound.

We put the Sony Bravia back in place of the LG, but there was no difference.

The TV repair guy left at this point saying he'd never seen a YouView Box.

We sat there not sure what had happened.

I then checked the paperwork relating the Humax when we bought it, and have returned for repair or replacement, which may take up to four weeks.

We're still a bit stunned, and suspect the HDMI input board of the LG is faulty. We've been quoted £120 + labour + VAT for the repair but with no guarantee it'll solve the conflict with the Humax.

Any one else experienced a similar scenario?

Meanwhile, we can't catch up Borgen because of silly BBC licensing!

| Wed 27 Nov 2013 15:09:02 #1 |
  2. nigelmercier

nigelmercier

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BigJohnD

First the bad news. John Lewis informed me the STB could not be repaired. There was a fault with the HDMI output circuit. This seemed consistent with my experiences. They therefore offered me a (new) identical replacement STB. But didn't have any in stock.

Here comes the good news. I was given a full refund of £299! I then looked at the similar Humax Youview/Freeview boxes with one of the sales guys. Surprise surprise, there looked to be an identical Humax but with a BT logo on it. After quizzing the salesman about it and looking at it in the box, it was the same model as we had had before. The remote control was a bit different having an extra button with a BT logo on it. So I bought it - but it was only £199! So the balance of £100 was credited to my credit card! And there is a 2 guarantee strarting from now as well.

Normal service has now been resumed (we're not with BT internet), including linking with the YouView app on our Androids, and nicely in time for Christmas.

Thank you John Lewis.

| Thu 19 Dec 2013 2:10:05 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.