My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

"Edit" recordings

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA Chesterfield

My old PVR9200T had the ability to crop recordings.
    I have a Foxsat HDR with a lot of (e.g.) Britain's got Talent HD recordings where my wife only keeps them to view a few minutes of a particular act. I know I cannot crop the recordings like I could with the 9200 but is there any other way of doing it?
    I wonder if I attached a DVD recorder to the Foxsat, would that allow me to just record the bits I need? Or is there any other way I could do this?

| Wed 23 Jul 2014 18:15:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes you could do this with a DVD recorder. Depending on the recordings there may be a totally lossless way.

If you use a videorecorder you will need to edit the recording files (recording in DVD-Video format the video will be in one of the .vob files in the Video_TS folder). The you need to use AV2HDR as below.

If they are SD recordings you could copy them to a usb drive.

Edit them with the excellent Videoredo mpeg editing software.

Create a new set of sidecar files using Raydons AV2hdr utility.

Replace the original recordings with the new much smaller files.

| Wed 23 Jul 2014 20:39:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA Chesterfield

Thanks, but a slight change of plan in that the dvd recorder is a vcr (the dvd recorder no longer works but the VCR does!).

I have connected humax tv scart to vcr in scart, vcr out scart to tv.

Whatever is happening on the humax I can see on the tv (live broadcasts, media list, recorded programs) but when I press record on the vcr it simply records a blank screen.

Is there something I am missing, doing wrong or simply trying to do the impossible?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[b]NOW SORTED ... forgot to change the source on the VCR!!

| Sat 26 Jul 2014 10:53:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA Chesterfield

Right, back to the original plan, DVD not VCR ... but having problems. I can record the bits that I want onto a DVD recorder. This plays fine on the DVD.

I have copied the .VOB file to my PC and used AV2HDR on this file, with the output to a USB stick formatted fat32, and with FTP set to auto and the Humax IP address entered.

I have 2 problems:

1 the files are not being transferred to the Humax by FTP

2 whether playing from the USB stick, or copying the USB stick files to the Humax, the video is running slightly quicker than it should, and the audio just stutters on the first bit of audio all the way through the recording.

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

Custom Firmware is v 4.0.8
    Web interface is v 2.73
    AV2HDR is v 1.6

Thanks in anticipation

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 10:11:04 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can you post a screenshot of the ftp settings you have used on AV2HDR ? I suspect the failure to transfer files is down to incorrect settings. This assumes you have the Custom Firmware installed on the Foxsat. Without this you can't directly copy (ftp or by mapping the drive in Windows) to a Foxsat.

Does the .vob file play back OK on your PC ?

Can you open the .vob file using MediaInfo and post the treeview file analysis (export to a textfile) ?

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 10:42:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA Chesterfield

ftp problem now sorted. wasn't able to open the help file but googled and found unblock solution which the helped me set up properly the ftp settings.

the recorded DVD plays back correctly on the PC.

Is the attached text file what you are looking for?

Attachments

1. AA_Chesterfield.txt (2.8 KB, 2 downloads) 9 years old
    | Wed 30 Jul 2014 11:17:46 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AA Chesterfield - 57 minutes ago  » 
    ftp problem now sorted. wasn't able to open the help file but googled and found unblock solution which the helped me set up properly the ftp settings.
    the recorded DVD plays back correctly on the PC.
    Is the attached text file what you are looking for?

That looks perfectly normal. If you play the AV2HDR output .ts on a PC is the sound OK ?

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 12:16:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA Chesterfield

No. Audio is not synchronised and seems to fall further behind the video the further you go into the recording and is similar whether played on the PC, ftp'd to the humax or copied to a USB stick and played on the humax.

I have used Handbrake to successfully convert the VOB file to MP4, which means I could use Studio to put all the bits together onto a DVD, but I would have preferred if possible to put all the bits back onto the Humax with AVHDR.

Any other thoughts?

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 20:34:07 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.