My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Going crackers! 9150 bad quality recording, help!

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stormduck

In The last 6months my Nan's 9150 started playing up. Just recently I've been trying to sort it. She lives in a flat with shared aerial, no one else has any problems with their setups. Someone came round and checked the connection in her flat with the aerial and said there was nothing wrong, perhaps it's the coaxial cable, so I bought a new one, quite flash for about £15, but no change. The TV when connected straight to the wall socket works fine, and also when connected via the Humax box. One can also watch tele using the humax box and no problems.

The problem comes when recording, with bad quality. Cracking sound, pixelated, jumpy picture. It seemed to switch between ITV1 and BBC1 randomly, but recently ITV is fine, BBC1 has the bad picture.

So, I bought an aerial booster, which made it worse, bad picture on most channels. Then I came on the net and searched, then bought a variable attenuator 0-20db. It made the jumpy picture a little better each time I increased it, but was still doing it at max setting, so I bought an inline 24db attenuator and fitted them both inline, still didn't solve it, and caused other channels to have problems. So I fitted a 4G filter, made no difference. So I removed the attenuator's, left on the 4G filter, and the bad reception switched to ITV and BBC1 was fine!

Then I searched on this forum and followed the manual channel setup instructions, found the nearest tower to us is Crystal Palace with excellent signal strength and retuned the box...no difference. I also need to add that during this whole time the box on both channels showed 80% signal, 100% quality, only lowering slightly when I fitted the attenuators. This is so strange I just can't work out what's going on!?! I'm almost at the stage of getting a new box but my Nan is 86 and knows how to use this one, so I would like to solve this for ease all around!

Any help would be greatly received!
    Dave.

| Wed 5 Nov 2014 15:55:30 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

You seem to have done the obvious things although I can't understand why the attenuators didn't change the signal strength. How far from the Crystal Palace transmitter is your Nan's flat. My only other suggestion is that the hard drive is on its way out. They are straightforward to change if necessary.

| Wed 5 Nov 2014 17:45:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stormduck

Well having both attenuator's dropped the signal strength to 74%, but the while the picture of the bbc improved, itv got worse. It seems I can have one or the other but not both! She's 26km away I believe it said, and the digital tv website showed all top results for the signal strength. I just can't see how it's the HD as it does function correctly when it wants to!

Many thanks

| Wed 5 Nov 2014 17:51:07 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.