My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Handbrake (or equivalent) profiles

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

yorkshireboy

Hi all,

I'm seeking users of HD or HDR devices who regularly use Handbrake (or equivalent) to transcode video (SD/720p/1080p) video for viewing on their Humax over DLNA.

Is anyone able to share their profile files for the above or instruct me how to correctly set them up?

I love my HD / HDR combo and especially like the shared library /DLNA features. However, I am finding it increasingly frustrating to predict what format my HDR or HD will happily play from a DLNA server.

I have a couple of options for using NAS box implementations of DLNA servers, DroboFS with MediaTomb or Netgear miniDLNA. Both of which *work* fine from both the HD and the HDR. As long as I have the file in the right format. This is where I fall down.

I would stress at this point that I have read the existing posts on this forum (and also hummy.tv and avforums) regarding file format and containers and understand in principle that I need MP2 (.ts) or MP4 with the matching audio to be able to do this but I can't get it to consistently work.

I have also tried the AVS product with not much success, and I prefer handbrake as it is OS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

| Thu 6 Sep 2012 0:03:51 #1 |
  2. athomson

athomson

special member

I have found that most videos from the internet play OK. If not I use FreeMake to make them XVID,MP3 (TV Quality) in an AVI container with the MP3 settings at sterio 128 or 160kb. I can then play via network by searching for the file on a network share if you look under storage in the recorded files on the Humax. I have never had much joy setting up DLNA. Hope this helps.

Andy

| Thu 6 Sep 2012 11:34:37 #2 |
  3. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

yorkshireboy - 14 hours ago  » 

I have also tried the AVS product with not much success, and I prefer handbrake as it is OS.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

I wonder what *exactly* you have read on this forum... Have you looked here: http://myhumax.org/wiki/index.php/Media_Playback

It shows what media formats I have tried playing from an attached USB drive. I will update this list by playing a few more formats from my D-Link 320 NAS tonight.

Conversion from .ts to MP4 by AVS Video Converter should play just fine served off a DLNA NAS, but I will confirm this with a few tests tonight.

The latest AVS Video Converter (v8.2) has profiles for conversion to Apple iPad HD Video (H.264, 1280x720, 24fps) and Video for Android tablets (H.264, 1280x720, 24fps). Either of these two profiles should do for reducing the file size of HD recordings but maintain the picture quality for a big screen.

If you have purchased an unlimited version of AVS Video Converter, you can download an upgrade using the update manager, or you can download the profiles packs separately.

I will post a new blog article on using AVS Video Converter v8.2 soon. This might also cover streaming from a NAS to the HDR.

| Thu 6 Sep 2012 15:34:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

acem8

The latest AVS Video Converter (v8.2) has profiles for conversion to Apple iPad HD Video (H.264, 1280x720, 24fps) and Video for Android tablets (H.264, 1280x720, 24fps). Either of these two profiles should do for reducing the file size of HD recordings but maintain the picture quality for a big screen.

Are you saying that if I rip DVD's using AVS to a format that can be played on the iPad I can also stream that same file to the Humax and it will play ok?

| Sun 16 Sep 2012 23:40:05 #4 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

I have not done the above precisely, but have converted DVDs to AVI format (using AVS Video Converter), put it on a NAS box and am able to play it using my HDR-FOX T2 as a DLNA client. Does this answer your question?

| Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:50:48 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.