My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

HD Fox-T2 with 2TByte External Drive ?

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

KPN

I am a newbie, but have been reading the various threads regarding 1TByte External drives and it sounds as though the Humax HD T2 will format the external drive without resorting to using Linux tools. Has anyone tried using the Humax to format a 2TByte external drive? I ask because looking at the Samsung drive there is only £10 difference in cost if I go for the larger 2 TByte model. However . . .

Apologies if this question has been answered elswhere.

Thanks

| Mon 22 Aug 2011 12:14:12 #1 |
  2. Wallace

Wallace

special member

AFAIK, the Humax will only format up to and including 1TB. However, I believe that you can format the >1TB HDD in a PC (ext3) and that will work. I have never done this so my knowledge is limited.

My 1TB HDD was recognised and formatted in the Hummy OK, but I have read that this is the limit.

I have a HDR, not an HD.

| Mon 22 Aug 2011 13:36:29 #2 |
  3. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Download GParted Live CD and boot up your PC using that and use GParted to format the drive to EXT3.

You can read Barry's guide to formatting a USB stick to EXT3 here: http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/how-to-format-a-usb-device-to-ext3-noddys-guide

And my three blog posts on using GParted: here (using Ubuntu), here (using Slax) and here (using GParted), for a rough idea of how to format.

But don't let the above overwhelm you, you just need to start up GParted, select the right hard disk and put a partition and EXT3 filesystem on it!

You might want to check out the Advanced Format Hard Drive post if you are purchasing one of these too.

Lastly! If you want to stick with Windows, you might want to try MiniTool's Free Partition Manager to format your drive. I've had variable success with this so can't confirm it will work correctly...

| Mon 22 Aug 2011 15:47:23 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

KPN

Wallace & son_t - I have found the tools you suggest so it's time to buy a drive and give it a try. Many thanks for sharing your experience. I can practice with an old drive while I wait for delivery.

| Mon 22 Aug 2011 20:30:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

KPN

I had a look at the format of my existing external 100 Gbyte Drive I have been using with my Fox HD T2 before embarking on creating a 2Tbyte version and found that it only has one partition unlike those described in the Blogs.

Using Gparted it shows a single partition /dev/sdb1 file system ext3 label TV REC1 Size 111.79 GB Used 28 GB and a very small unallocated area of 2.49 MiB.

Does anyone know whether the drive format differs between the HDR and the HD?

| Thu 25 Aug 2011 14:52:40 #5 |
  6. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

The layout will be different. I suggested the links to familarise yourself with using GParted to format the disk.

I suspect you just need a single partition for the HD to record on, although I need someone else to confirm as I don't have an HD box.

Barry or Graham?

| Thu 25 Aug 2011 16:00:53 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

KPN

son_t - that was great advice on GParted. I do like it when a tool does what it says on the tin!

Thanks

| Thu 25 Aug 2011 16:13:09 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The drive has a single partition with two folders. One for the Video Content and the other for the time shift buffer. As my box has a 1TB drive the box formatted it and created the two folders. At a guess the box the box will create the video and timeshift folders if they don't exist on a preformatted drive. One thing to note time shifting is turned off by default in the menus you have to turn it on. If you need the exact folder names I will have to connect the drive to my laptop to check.

| Thu 25 Aug 2011 16:15:10 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

KPN

Grahamlthompson - you have confirmed that I read Gparted correctly thanks. I didn't want to get part way through this and find that I had missed 2 partitions.

| Thu 25 Aug 2011 16:33:05 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

roddyb

Hi, does GParted do the same thing as Easeus Partition? I have used Easeus to create a 1tb ext3 partition (on a 2tb WD Elements drive) but the Humax reformatted it to show the whole drive (1.8tb). The Humax would then not allow the drive to being used as a pvr/for recording. I was wondering if it made a difference creating the partition in GParted compared to Easeus?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

| Fri 30 Sep 2011 19:44:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.