My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Missing channel

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hugo Nebula

Can anyone help with a query?

I cannot receive BBC 4 HD (the others on the same multiplex) on channel 31 from Winter Hill on my Humax.

I have retuned several times. Currently the signal strength is 42%, the quality is flipping between 5% to 100%. On my TV, the quality is a solid 100%, and the strength is 82%.

I was able to receive the multiplex when it first started, with occasional dropouts, but it seems to have got worse in the past week or so.

S/w 1.03.12

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 11:00:25 #1 |
  2. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

I have a similar problem with a HD-Fox (1.02.29). I use the Sutton Coldfield transmitter, but it is about 30 miles away and the new HD multiplex is transmitted on lower power. The other channels are fine (including the established HD channels: BBC1, ITV etc.) but typically the signal quality on BBC4 HD etc. fluctuates and the picture breaks up. Sometimes it is OK; this is probably dependent on the weather. The same channels on the Samsung TV that the Humax box is connected to are nearly always fine, so I think the Samsung can tune with a weaker signal than the Humax. Regarding signal strength and quality measures, they can't be compared on different manufacturer's devices as you have no idea how the values are obtained. Even comparison of two different HDR-Foxes is problematic: how do you know if both are calibrated consistently?

In another part of my house, my HDR-Foxes are connected to a newer, higher gain aerial and they have no problems with the new HD channels. You may not want to go this far, so you could get a masthead amplifier installed on you aerial, if you don't have one already. As a cheaper alternative, you could try a £10 in line signal booster. Some people hate these, but a small improvement in signal strength may be all you need to get a stable picture.

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 12:10:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Huggo Nebula - 1 hour ago  » 
    I cannot receive BBC 4 HD (the others on the same multiplex) on channel 31 from Winter Hill on my Humax.
    I have retuned several times. Currently the signal strength is 42%, the quality is flipping between 5% to 100%. On my TV, the quality is a solid 100%, and the strength is 82%.

Are you doing an automatic tune or a manual tune?

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 12:15:05 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hugo Nebula

Martin Liddle - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Are you doing an automatic tune or a manual tune?

A manual tune.

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 12:24:55 #4 |
  5. Wallace

Wallace

special member

That's strange. I had a telephone call from my brother telling me that ten minutes into watching a programme on BBC Four HD tonight, the screen went blank with a message stating no signal and to check his aerial.

He doesn't have a PVR of any kind and was watch live directly on his Samsung TV.

He too is served by Winter Hill.

I also asked if he could still receive BBC News HD and Al Jezeera HD and he could not. At the time I told him it was most probably an issue with his aerial or cabling. But now I am not too sure.

However, I am also served by Winter Hill and don't have any issues with COM7 at all.

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 23:18:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hugo Nebula

More strange behaviour.

I did the electronic 101 fix, turn it off and on again, a retune, and the channels are there now. However, when I have the PVR on, those channels (on CH 31; BBC 4 HD, BBC news HD, etc.), aren't being received by the TV, i.e., aren't being passed through the PVR.

| Mon 10 Mar 2014 11:39:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Huggo Nebula - 1 hour ago  » 
    More strange behaviour.
    I did the electronic 101 fix, turn it off and on again, a retune, and the channels are there now. However, when I have the PVR on, those channels (on CH 31; BBC 4 HD, BBC news HD, etc.), aren't being received by the TV, i.e., aren't being passed through the PVR.

First thing I would do is have a careful look at the aerial cabling and make sure all the joints are well made, that it isn't kinked or wrapped around a potential source of electrical interference. What is the signal strength and quality reported by the Humax now on the relevant channels?

| Mon 10 Mar 2014 12:50:56 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.