My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Weak TV signal on the Humax but not on the TV??

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tjh113

Hi we started to have problems where the TV signal would just drop out and then return. Eventually is stopped all together. My aerial cable was going into the Humax box and the signal from there was going to the TV via a scart socket. I bought a new aerial and connected up. No joy. Then just to test the box I got another TV (from storage) which had a built in freeview facility. Plugged the aerial into the new TV and I have all the channels - remove and plug back into the back of the Humax - weak signal again! What is going on? Is there a way around this? The new TV has two HDMI sockets and two scarts.

| Sat 11 Jan 2014 22:23:33 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Which model?

My TV's tuner shows a significantly stronger signal than that shown on my HDR-2000T. Especially on the new HD channels. I'm thinking it could be just due to the amplification of the signal as it's passed through from the Humax to the TV.

| Sat 11 Jan 2014 22:38:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tjh113 - 2 hours ago  » 
    My aerial cable was going into the Humax box and the signal from there was going to the TV via a scart socket. I bought a new aerial and connected up. No joy. Then just to test the box I got another TV (from storage) which had a built in freeview facility. Plugged the aerial into the new TV and I have all the channels - remove and plug back into the back of the Humax - weak signal again!

What model Humax do you have? What is the signal strength and quality reported by the Humax? Have you tried doing an automatic channel scan? If you have and that didn't help have you tried manual tuning?

| Sun 12 Jan 2014 1:19:22 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

tjh113

Its a DTR-T1000. Have tried re-tuning and it goes very quickly and finds nothing. When I say quick I mean probably 3 seconds. Can seem to get to manual tuning - how do you do that?

| Sun 12 Jan 2014 19:29:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tjh113 - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Its a DTR-T1000. Have tried re-tuning and it goes very quickly and finds nothing. When I say quick I mean probably 3 seconds. Can seem to get to manual tuning - how do you do that?

You can't manually tune on DTR-T1000. Sorry I don't own one and I have no more ideas. Hopefully someone who does have one will be able to make some suggestions.

| Sun 12 Jan 2014 19:39:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I've owned two. Each died within months. My suggestion would be return it.

Alternatively, try an attenuator (has worked in some cases) or amplifier. Sorry not to have any more helpful suggestions.

| Sun 12 Jan 2014 20:04:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

tjh113

Its out of warranty unfortunately - is it just the tuner circuit and is it possible to get that fixed or take the signal from the TV which has a freeview digital tuner? What is an attenuator - I understand attenuation with car park drainage! - .not TV's

| Sun 12 Jan 2014 20:32:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It's been said to be often due to the box picking the wrong transmitter due to it being over-sensitive. Hence the attenuator to lower the signal in the hope the YouView box will then find the correct transmitter. They're available from Maplins, not expensive I believe.

| Sun 12 Jan 2014 20:42:33 #8 |
  9. tttonyyy

tttonyyy

Edit: Meant to post this here but this is a similar issue?

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/poor-receiver-performance

I've also switched from a Topfield 5800 to 2000T and see the same thing.

We install a high gain antennae when Rowridge was 'only' transmitting 20kW, which gave the Topfield pretty much full signal even on the 64QAM channels. At digital switchover Rowridge bumped up to 200kW. Topfield very happy. But our newly acquired Humax is only giving partial signal levels. We're quite close to Rowridge with a high gain antennae - it would be hard to have higher signal strength without an amp.

| Mon 13 Jan 2014 12:57:36 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Attenuator example here

Variable Attenuator

| Mon 13 Jan 2014 14:02:40 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.