My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

10 months with an FVP 5000T & H3 streamer...

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Garrison

Like quite a few, I upgraded to the FVP 5000T hoping for lots of cool new features over our trusty old DTR-T1000.

We bought the 5000T along with the H3 media streamer box so we could access recordings and whatnot on another TV.

Over the course of those ten months, we've fiddled with the router, reformatted it, swapped it for another to try and resolve multiple very annoying problems - all to no avail. So I thought others might like to learn from our experience by posting here.

Can I just say at the outset that Humaxdirect support has been outstanding - they've helped enormously with ideas, fixes, free returns and, ultimately, refunding all costs - and we've now reverted back to a T1000. Phew - happy again.

OK, so what was wrong with the 5000T?

Essentially, it's massively underdeveloped. A TV box needs to be reliable and enhance your viewing. This is the total opposite.

It drops the link to the various 3rd party players (I player, itv hub etc.) very regularly meaning lots of advanced features don't work and you're continually having to reboot it to reconnect.

The EPG regularly doesn't show any data either - even when the players are working and pulling in data.

Pressing 'on demand' shows nothing as being available (though - top tip - you can sometimes give it a bit of a kick by pressing down button then choosing a category like 'sport' or 'comedy' and it'll pull through the data then.

It often doesn't record programs for no apparent reason and crashes pretty often.

The H3 media streamer (cappucino?) software looks like it's been nicked from freebie internet software (remember public domain stuff and you get the picture), is mega user-unfriendly and often simply doesn't work or crashes the apps.

I've tried umteen ways to fix it - culminating in trying out another unit - and it was exactly the same. Identical problems and workarounds. Identical frustrating unit that just isn't fit for purpose.

When you buy a device, you really don't want to be spending hours trying to work around its inadequacies. If we could charge manufacturers for hours spend supporting their underdeveloped devices, I'm sure they'd quickly improve things.

Meanwhile, Humax direct support rocks and because of that, I'd still consider their stuff in the future. But my advice to anyone looking to get an FVP 5000T; don't be tempted by its alluring promise of all those great features and stick with the older models. Life's too short!

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 20:01:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

It's a sad reflection on these units that I've resorted to putting my 4000T on a 24hr timer, so the unit gets a reboot every night. That seems to have helped- the EPG data, particularly historic data, gets refreshed properly, and the various players load correctly.
    As for the H3, it's pure luck as to whether it'll work or not when you switch it on. For a big name like Humax to let these out of the door is very poor.

| Mon 4 Mar 2019 10:09:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Garrison - 16 hours ago  » 
    It drops the link to the various 3rd party players (I player, itv hub etc.) very regularly meaning lots of advanced features don't work and you're continually having to reboot it to reconnect.
    The EPG regularly doesn't show any data either - even when the players are working and pulling in data.

What I don't understand is why I don't suffer from these issues. When the box works properly for some people and not others it is challenging for developers to work out where the issue is.

Pressing 'on demand' shows nothing as being available (though - top tip - you can sometimes give it a bit of a kick by pressing down button then choosing a category like 'sport' or 'comedy' and it'll pull through the data then.

I do see that behaviour but as you note selecting a genre, waiting for it to populate and then going back to "All" always results in it populating. I agree it is a bug but with a workaround.

It often doesn't record programs for no apparent reason and crashes pretty often.

I have had a small number of failed recordings recently on BBC channels but the BBC have had problems with both Series link and accurate recording meta data; I think the situation with the BBC is now improving. That aside the recording performance has been faultless.

The H3 media streamer (cappucino?) software looks like it's been nicked from freebie internet software (remember public domain stuff and you get the picture), is mega user-unfriendly and often simply doesn't work or crashes the apps.

I have never owned an H3 but from the endless problem reports here, I would say it is conceptually a good idea but very poorly implemented.

Nothing wrong with Open Source public domain software. It is at the core of most of the electronic products we use today.

| Mon 4 Mar 2019 12:47:19 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.