My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

1000S No Sky News but conditional.

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

donaldjamessimm

[HDR1000S 2TB. Quad LNB] This has been working OK for years. Signal strength etc is all reported normal
    When on Sky News I get low or no signal. All other channels seem OK. However, if I go to another channel and start recording (now, not future record) then go back to Sky News it works. The recording did take place at the same time.

If I then stop the recording by going to recordings, Sky News remains working. Turn the box off/on and Sky News is gone.

I have swapped all cables and LNB sockets to no avail. I have a second smaller Humax box with single feed and no recorder. It works fine on Sky News. My cable/socket swaps included connecting this socket to the [faulty?] other box.

It sounds to me that one tuner may be faulty on one tuning (possible?) and that starting a recording perhaps switches which LNB input is used for record, or maybe one LNB is always used for record but only switches when a recording starts (is this possible even?)
    [EDIT] That is misleading, neither LNB input will work independently, only for Sky News.

Any advice would be great. Thank you for reading.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 9:21:33 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can you try a couple of tests to get some clues as to what might be going on. ?

Tune to 202 Sky news leave it for a few minutes and press the instant record button.

Enter 144 on the keyboard and press the instant record button again.

Check in the schedule you have two ongoing recordings. Stop both recordings.

Go to 105 Channel 5-HD start a instant recording. Enter 202 on the keyboard can you watch Sky-News ?

Next Home - Settings - System Information - Signal Info. What's the Strength and Quality for both tuners and what does it say at the bottom of the screen.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 10:56:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

donaldjamessimm

Thank you for your reply and here are the results...
    On 202, cannot watch, cannot start recording do not have guide text.
    Signal info... Tuner 1 no signal, Tuner 2 strength 70% good Signal 100% good.
    Msg. 2 cables plugged in.
    Cannot therefore do remainder.

Removed one input from wall, no channels and same whichever wall socket.
    Repeat with other BOX input ALL channels return whichever wall socket.
    (Seems to indicate one dead input on BOX?)

turn off/on and Removed one input at wall
    202 instant R - 144 Instant R, both recording OK. Stopped both.
    105 Instant R - 202 can watch.
    Signal info... Tuner 2 no signal - Tuner 1 70% and 100%
    (these are reversed from first attempt.)

Every test indicates two cables connected even though there is only one and it doesn't matter which.

This seems to me to indicate that both wall sockets (LNB) are OK but one Tuner duff or shorted to the other but I don't know what goes on inside the box.

Does this help or are there any other tests I can do.
    Thank you.

[EDIT] I still don't understand why sometimes only Sky News is missing but can change channels and get them
    [EDIT 2]When I connect either input to LNB I get a signal strength as indicated on 1 or 2 whichever input is connected, suggesting both tuners register the input. (both spark on touching earth indicating that the tuning voltage is present. Hope this doesn't cross with you replying.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 11:53:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

donaldjamessimm

Thank you again for your prompting and due to the testing you suggested I have gone further and only taken signal condition into account.
    I made a small table of three LNB outputs against to Box inputs and jotted down signal strengths.
    The system is now working but not good. Most important is that it has stopped raining. The signal strenth on one LNB is excellent always, of the other two, one seems to sit on Normal strength and the other moves between Normal and Bad. Clearly at present it is on Normal and working.

As I say I don't know what goes on between the Tuners but they seem to be affected differently under different conditions.

I suspect that water must be getting into one of the LNB outputs at the dish because (now I think of it) this seems to happen when heavy raining.

The original test of the signals all being OK at the start of this post must have been the moment I chose to look.

I am sorry to have wasted your time, but for me you did focus my mind for which I thank you.
    [EDIT] If anything does happen between tuners when recording or otherwise, I would very much appreciate learning the details.

[EDIT 2] I would also like to know why two LNBs are reported when only one was connected.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 13:28:08 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

All the outputs of the lnb should be the same, which does indicate a cabling issue.

Water in the cabling often knocks out specific frequencies, though the cable which you were able to record two channels on the same transponder (using only one tuner) as Sky news, shows that specific cable and the connection must be fine.

Heavy rain can affect reception especially if the dish alignment isn't spot on.

Firstly disconnect the cabling at the box end and assuming you have screw on f connectors unscrew them and carefully look for signs of water and look for a stray whisker of screen touching the core conductor.

You may have a failing lnb, as replacements from e-bay are so cheap I would first replace the lnb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4WAY-SKY-QUAD-LNB-LMB-MK4-ADAPTOR-SKY-latest-model-new-model/253419035986?hash=item3b00f39d52&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAADIKvsXIZtBqdkfsZsMtzFbFsbX3WcW5fmB%2Fx7ZbaZTyexGayZpEU2DcneTh%2BsUT7iRBA2fXG7VD43g%2B3YAUD3vci%2BXrLBywplAn5i4d3DKjLa%2BQdeqmaRgFBEn6cVKTgPZIbKceFE3w7yDlEx5wOk093Gt7ZeTtm3ZmObvf6oLhHb9s27WVmMAYrvQtqcc80M29%2FZPvshxzsr2OimrzikcZHCDiFxWSoHafDJlkgnDplLKK8V03T8ugJmEr4TsKmYNZYsIpICg1s2UAMCM8f3UPJREyTgNWfK50zfR8Y%2BceGhcmkrQ4sDfpgAsxIgbqVyJIjlbE2LkBq9xlghj64YzMNbyHm%2FhzzeoPRCmHJ%2FFaUNaarH5755eTAB4LhmNc0Vd5MBXD2Z1PE%2Fni4Fb0jDOnV4DpKoOfqiiMjsWaoSSQ2YFxpApUyymuhESTv%2BQ%2BzI7oGDPPkBZOzraTNvTeN8S60JwtSzNcQMaVK2yhMqwkRN5Uxgm7TdIuQ9Bhh3rwMSDB6BIfY9uct755qOXW55Wu9zDThXphvY0mDxhBH4DPGkwHYmuyq%2F30u3RItG5IXyTAILKdrnj7ANghhq3KtuBpVuwox0gN4G%2FnjVy%2FbZ1ns%2BZbxeTn48dkBAeYtEuryJl%2FtlSXhupd5bGsV8ZgpmhEDSTH6flNlK9UKF5J24sNbfqrWt6C9HZvtSJBtdroMHULOzzrW6CBLHBvnkNEXEcE1xio5U%2B0jyp8Wpi5PV%2ByVqi2hSh1Dh6RMf1orv5f9belHQCgMgZLH0QNeabMwS1XPsf31c56kFXr5GwVZIohUTiHzo5A%2FAvumJ0TvgzkHr0VqQ%2B2U8cpkeE%2BVC86y7cObvvNzIkPyH%2FNLTOpHIcx8RVE7FTpNcQ1ghu1Z64JV%2BAvnDOREKWCtjmaZf0atU7ceaFUjaQO1OIi3YbbhMxRvuMAqtX5IE66sNUmok2iXrdS%2BdcVQb1hGtxQBeJbeR8ces7qZSTUhZ7ENk%2FLmo18dqrEhIWE12ceWsc1tQFJDb4e%2BctAOhs1FOa%2FPGnj2MINOIX2vVZnT3Nr3hOkrDHcnS&checksum=253419035986c7820d071026422e92de4741a9ed5d3e

Use silicone grease on the connectors to provide water resistance.

If your lnb fits inside the arm rather than over it as on the latest MK4 dishes you will need a legacy adaptor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKY-MK3-LNB-HOLDER-ZINWELL-MTI-LEGACY-ADAPTER-RAVEN-SATELLITE-TV-DISH-36mm/272547163434?hash=item3f7513ad2a:g:6ckAAOSwnHZYl6k~

To check alignment you will need some help. Get someone to watch the diagnostics screen with a phone.

Stand behind the dish and push at the middle of the left side of the dish to flex it slightly left. Keep the pressure on till the box metering responds to the change. Note if the signal quality goes down. Release the azimuth bolts and slightly move the dish left. Repeat until you find spot where the signal quality goes down when you press on either side. Repeat pressing top and bottom to find the elevation sweet spot.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 13:47:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

donaldjamessimm

Thank you very much for your links and advice. Over to me.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 13:50:49 #6 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

donald » This seems to me to indicate that both wall sockets (LNB) are OK but one Tuner duff
    What leads you to this conclusion? Have you not proved that both tuners are OK by getting 70% and 100% on both tuners 1 and 2?
    Tuner 1 no signal, Tuner 2 strength 70% good Signal 100% good.

Tuner 2 no signal - Tuner 1 70% and 100%

This indicates the exact opposite to me. Both tuners are OK but you have a problem with one of the feeds from the LNB to the box inputs.

Ah, I see that you have already sussed that one out. That'l teach me to not fully read posts.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 14:35:14 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

donaldjamessimm

Well thank you anyway for introducing yourself and your good intentions.
    Things progress over several postings and hours causing conclusions to change in that same way. Usually only the last posting in these kind of circumstances is the one with the latest conclusions.

This process can also be draw from your own single posting but in two parts. Only the last is relevant

Please take this just as a bit of fun, but once one types the last sentence the whole becomes irrelevant and thus usually not posted? Unless...?

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 14:59:02 #8 |
  9. Trev

Trev

special member

Please take this just as a bit of fun, but once one types the last sentence the whole becomes irrelevant and thus usually not posted? Unless...?
    Yep., that's OK. I should have just deleted the bloody lot when I realised my mistake. But I thought that I would give someone a chuckle. And it's too late now to go back and strikthrough the duff gen

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 17:03:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

donaldjamessimm

Nice to have a bit of banter in good faith sometimes. Good you took it as meant.
    I look forward to having your input when I next have a problem, which I am sure will happen (not soon I hope).
    Bye for now Trev.

| Sun 6 Oct 2019 19:25:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.