My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

2 FPV 4000T's one works 1 does not

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ichabod

Hello all, just joined the forum, a bit late at 82 but always ready to learn.
    I have 2x 4000T boxes, one from another location which worked there. The local one provides all channels at 78/100% signal. When connected to the other box using the same connections and retuned using factory re-set and auto search there are 0 channels and 0/0% signal. I then renewed all the aerial connections and tried again with the same result, and manual tuning is the same as auto, am I missing something or is it likely the box is terminal.
    Thanks for any suggestions

| Fri 8 Apr 2022 20:42:22 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Ichabod - 58 mins ago  » 
    I then renewed all the aerial connections and tried again with the same result, and manual tuning is the same as auto, am I missing something or is it likely the box is terminal.

What signal strength are you seeing when manual tuning? Do you have the correct set of channels for your location? When auto tuning are you turning the Smart tune option off?

| Fri 8 Apr 2022 21:43:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ichabod

Hi Martin, There is no signal strength indicated during manual tuning and on auto tune I am using the smart tune as I do not mind losing the old channels, I am not sure about the set of channels, I have looked them up on the site recommended on this forum but as yet have not found them, I am on the Beacon Hill transmitter

| Sat 9 Apr 2022 10:42:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Ichabod - 30 mins ago  » 
    on auto tune I am using the smart tune as I do not mind losing the old channels,

The 4000T's so called "SMART" retune isn't that smart. Your issue may be sorted if you first make a note of your recording schedule and then action a non-SMART Auto retune. You will then have to re-enter your recording schedule as a non-SMART retune wipes the schedule.

Ichabod - 30 mins ago  » 
    There is no signal strength indicated during manual tuning .... I am not sure about the set of channels

Ichabod - 14 hours ago  » 
    am I missing something or is it likely the box is terminal.
    Thanks for any suggestions

You may be missing an explanation of how to action a manual retune, but instead of going down that longer route you may find the resolution is as easy as an Auto retune without selecting "SMART".

| Sat 9 Apr 2022 11:23:31 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Ichabod - 29 mins ago  » 
    There is no signal strength indicated during manual tuning

Sorry I am confused; how are you manual tuning if you don't know the channel numbers?

and on auto tune I am using the smart tune as I do not mind losing the old channels,

Smart tune is intended to keep the schedule of future recordings not old channels. In my view it is poorly implemented and causes more problems than it solves. Try turning it off.

I am not sure about the set of channels, I have looked them up on the site recommended on this forum but as yet have not found them, I am on the Beacon Hill transmitter

For Beacon Hill, SD channels (transmission type set to DVB-T) are 40, 41, 42, 44, 45
    HD channel (Transmission type set to DVB-T2) is 47

| Sat 9 Apr 2022 11:25:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ichabod

I have now been able to find the channel set numbers and followed your instructions
    on how to do a manual retune and used the default setting for an auto retune.
    There are still 0 channels found and the signal strength is 0 for both auto and manual checks
    I am not sure if just using default turns off the smart option but I have used default anyway as I do not know how to turn off the smart setting.
    Thanks for the channel numbers, I had just located what I thought was correct and you have confirmed that they were correct.
    Am I correct in thinking that if there is no signal strength then anything I try is doomed to failure
    Mike

| Sat 9 Apr 2022 12:07:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Ichabod - 4 mins ago  » 
    I have now been able to find the channel set numbers and followed your instructions
    on how to do a manual retune and used the default setting for an auto retune.
    There are still 0 channels found and the signal strength is 0 for both auto and manual checks
    Am I correct in thinking that if there is no signal strength then anything I try is doomed to failure

Zero signal strength will mean doomed to failure. The next thing to look at is whether there is anything wrong with the aerial cabling that might cause the problem.

| Sat 9 Apr 2022 12:14:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ichabod

I have checked the cable and renewed the connectors, on the box that id working this increased the signal strength from 76 to 78% and I get all channels with excellent quality

| Sat 9 Apr 2022 12:23:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ichabod

If this is a component failure will it be repairable or just to expensive to bother with?

| Sat 9 Apr 2022 12:30:40 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ichabod

Many thanks to Martin and Like for their help

| Sun 10 Apr 2022 13:05:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.