2018 new UHD capable Freesat box

(55 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

More here - looking like a challenger to the multituner Sky-Q system with remote viewing of content.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/freesat-plans-third-generation-set-top.html

| Fri 1 Sep 2017 10:47:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Yes, SKY Q catch-up. Very welcome.
    I hope my current 4 x 1000S boxes last out till at least 2 to 3 years after announce so I can skip the debugging cycle which is part and parcel of past Freesat and Freeview products

| Fri 1 Sep 2017 14:24:01 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I wonder if it will be unicable lnb capable or perhaps use the Sky type hybrid lnb ?

| Fri 1 Sep 2017 14:37:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

My only query regarding this is - just how much demand for UHD TV is there. From what I have been reading this is still very much a niche product.

I know TV manufactures are pushing UHD as they are desperate to score a victory after the failed debacle of 3D TV. However, material is still very limited and sales of UHD TVs haven't (so far) been stellar.

I wish I had put money on 3D being a failure, though given it was an easy bet I suspect you wouldn't have been given good odds.

| Fri 1 Sep 2017 23:19:52 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 9 hours ago  » 
    My only query regarding this is - just how much demand for UHD TV is there. From what I have been reading this is still very much a niche product.
    I know TV manufactures are pushing UHD as they are desperate to score a victory after the failed debacle of 3D TV. However, material is still very limited and sales of UHD TVs haven't (so far) been stellar.
    I wish I had put money on 3D being a failure, though given it was an easy bet I suspect you wouldn't have been given good odds.

UHD content is available from the likes of Netflix and YouTube which the new box should be able to access. Suspect it will be a long time before conventionally broadcast UHD will be available for free (Other than demo sources like the SES Astra one at 28.2E). I have a 4K camcorder so for me it could well be very handy.

| Sat 2 Sep 2017 9:10:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 6 hours ago  » 

Faust - 9 hours ago  » 

UHD content is available from the likes of Netflix and YouTube which the new box should be able to access. Suspect it will be a long time before conventionally broadcast UHD will be available for free (Other than demo sources like the SES Astra one at 28.2E). I have a 4K camcorder so for me it could well be very handy.

You may have a 4K camera but do you have a 4K TV to view it on, or at the very least a 4/5K monitor?

If memory serves me correctly it's not that long since you purchased a new Panasonic LCD TV. Given the claimed longevity of these devices I shouldn't think you will be replacing it for at least another ten years will you?

We are in the same position i.e. large screen Panny TV around three years old. I'm thinking it should suffice for at least another dozen or so years.

Mind you today's younger generation seem to discard their devices almost as often as they change their pants.

| Sat 2 Sep 2017 15:59:01 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Having read thru the proposed spec this should be an interesting trip for the first users. Based on my experience with the badly designed, buggy s/w on the 1000S (bought at announce) I will wait about two years down the road before buying. Catch-22 is you are then exposed to component resourcing to cut cost Hope my HDR and 3xHB last that long.

| Thu 5 Oct 2017 17:37:36 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Having read thru the proposed spec this should be an interesting trip for the first users. Based on my experience with the badly designed, buggy s/w on the 1000S (bought at announce) I will wait about two years down the road before buying. Catch-22 is you are then exposed to component resourcing to cut cost Hope my HDR and 3xHB last that long.

Perhaps freesat will take on board Humax design suggestions.

| Thu 5 Oct 2017 19:26:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.