My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

4000T - playback and recording problems

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sevlow

This is my first post but I don't think this issue has been covered elsewhere...
    My 4000T has the latest software (Aug 18) but has developed two significant problems:
    1. While watching a pre-recorded program a message appears along the lines of 'Unable to view. Channel may be scrambled or not available'. Sometimes playback resumes after 15-30 seconds but sometimes the screen goes blank and the recording cannot be accessed at all, and neither can any of the others. Watching live TV is unaffected. I get the impression this happens when another recording is in process, but I haven't kept a log so far.
    2. Recordings often show a 'failed recording' symbol and display a message giving a reason (various including lack of power, scrambled signal etc) when opening, however the recording has actually succeeded and can be accessed normally. The 'failed' symbol then disappears.

Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received - especially for item 1!

| Mon 10 Dec 2018 12:51:32 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

For item 2- I have seen reports of people finding they get the failed recording icon but it's actually recorded fine. From what I've read it seems to be if the recording starts with a black screen or no sound for a few seconds. Not sure if that's any help but I thought I'd let you know what I'd read in case it was of any use.

| Mon 10 Dec 2018 15:49:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaeger

Have you checked signal strength/quality

| Mon 10 Dec 2018 16:48:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

sevlow

Thanks Christina. It does seem to affect most recordings and I mentioned really in case it were related to problem 1.

Signal strength usually in the 65-75% range and quality 100%. I am using a variable attenuator having failed to get a signal at all when I first bought the unit in August. Then I read posts on this site and signal now is usually normal, with just an occasional pixelation lasting only a second or two.

| Mon 10 Dec 2018 18:08:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

sevlow - 6 hours ago  » 
    1. While watching a pre-recorded program a message appears along the lines of 'Unable to view. Channel may be scrambled or not available'. Sometimes playback resumes after 15-30 seconds but sometimes the screen goes blank and the recording cannot be accessed at all, and neither can any of the others.

How often does this happen?

2. Recordings often show a 'failed recording' symbol and display a message giving a reason (various including lack of power, scrambled signal etc) when opening, however the recording has actually succeeded and can be accessed normally.

Again how often does this happen? I see this from time to time and often there is only a very brief disturbance in the playback.

| Mon 10 Dec 2018 19:21:58 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

sevlow

Hi Martin
    Problem 1 is becoming more frequent. The other night playback froze (error message then black screen) twice for about 30 secs each time during a one hour program, then froze and locked out of all recordings permanently about 5 mins into the next program.
    Problem 2 only one of 4 recordings made last night had the error symbol. This is a minor issue unless it is a symptom of something more serious.

| Tue 11 Dec 2018 9:50:27 #6 |
  7. graham uk

graham uk

special member

Occasionally I have had a recent recording not showing in the recorded listing.
    To solve my problem I unplugged the T4000 from the main power....and then powering up again has returned my listings.

| Tue 11 Dec 2018 10:08:05 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

sevlow - 2 hours ago  » 
    Problem 1 is becoming more frequent. The other night playback froze (error message then black screen) twice for about 30 secs each time during a one hour program, then froze and locked out of all recordings permanently about 5 mins into the next program.

Yes that is a serious problem. My first guess would be that it is a failing hard drive but the only way to confirm that would be to connect the hard drive to a PC and have a look at the SMART data.

| Tue 11 Dec 2018 12:07:03 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

sevlow

Having spoken to Humax support it seems there are two likely reasons.
    If the problem only occurs when other recordings are being made it could be due to lack of signal strength. I have tried to 'tweak' my variable attenuator to its maximum before the signal disappears altogether, which now gives strengths of between 68-74%, and will monitor situation.
    If however it happens when no other recordings are in progress then Humax agree it is probably a faulty hard drive. Again I will have to monitor carefully...

| Wed 12 Dec 2018 13:38:48 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.