My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000 internet loss

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Funky

Hi. I have a problem with a FVP-5000t, which I’ve had for about 2 years now, so out off warranty. The machine won’t connect to the internet, therefore making ‘On Demand’ useless, unless I do a Factory reset. Everything is fine for a couple of weeks, but then it drops out again. Strangely, checking ‘Network Connection’ in Settings shows a good internet connection.
    Anyone have any suggestions, apart from taking to local recycling centre.
    Thanks

| Fri 25 Oct 2019 15:58:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Funky - 22 mins ago  » 
    Hi. I have a problem with a FVP-5000t, which I’ve had for about 2 years now, so out off warranty. The machine won’t connect to the internet, therefore making ‘On Demand’ useless, unless I do a Factory reset. Everything is fine for a couple of weeks, but then it drops out again. Strangely, checking ‘Network Connection’ in Settings shows a good internet connection.
    Anyone have any suggestions, apart from taking to local recycling centre.
    Thanks

Please post all details of the network status screen

| Fri 25 Oct 2019 16:21:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Funky

Not sure how to do that but I’ve uploaded a screenshot (I hope)

Attachments

1. D7679E2B-F456-4058-8BE4-3189104F9BAE..jpeg (82.8 KB, 4 downloads) 4 years old
    | Fri 25 Oct 2019 17:37:00 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Funky

Another try

| Fri 25 Oct 2019 17:42:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Funky

Another try

Attachments

1. 27B158B1-4586-4CEB-B37F-0B371CF5859F..jpeg (85.1 KB, 4 downloads) 4 years old
    | Fri 25 Oct 2019 17:42:49 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

Don't bother with another. Most peeps will be able to read the data.

| Fri 25 Oct 2019 20:15:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

This network status display shows my own findings - when the router is shown as primary and secondary DNS then internet access does not work - for a reason I have not yet discovered. Can you try a wired connection and set the ip address and DNS server addresses manually - i.e. not DHCP? DNS addresses should be those assigned by your ISP. What is the make and model of your router and what is your ISP i.e. your broadband provider?

| Sat 26 Oct 2019 10:08:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

GrahamRHK - 1 hour ago  » 
    This network status display shows my own findings - when the router is shown as primary and secondary DNS then internet access does not work - for a reason I have not yet discovered. Can you try a wired connection and set the ip address and DNS server addresses manually - i.e. not DHCP? DNS addresses should be those assigned by your ISP.

Why use the ISP DNS? I have long preferred third party DNS providers; I use OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. There are various other free DNS providers but my DNS related problems went away when I switched to OpenDNS and I haven't had the motivation to evaluate the others.

| Sat 26 Oct 2019 11:36:46 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Funky

Thanks for your reply. My router is a Huewei HG633 provided by TalkTalk, my broadband provider. Unfortunately I am unable to connect by wire, I don’t have a cable long enough.
    For what it’s worth, I have a Panasonic recorder in another room, which works perfectly by Wi-Fi.
    I’ve just tried the Humax this morning and all is as it should be.
    I’ve brought this up with Humax, maybe they’ll have a fix, although I’m not holding my breath!

| Sat 26 Oct 2019 11:38:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Why use the ISP DNS? I have long preferred third party DNS providers; I use OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Good point but not the one that I was making. You can of course use any DNS server provided you have a means to set the addresses, either in the device or in the router. The issue that I have discovered but can't explain is that if the DNS server addresses are shown as the router address then the FVP does not work consistently over the internet. The DNS server addresses are set by the router in its DHCP response when the FVP connects to the network. Connecting with a fixed address (only possible with a wired connection in the FVP) will also allow setting of DNS addresses.

| Sun 27 Oct 2019 9:27:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.