My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T End of Life?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

Has the 5000T reaching end of life?
    I know there's Aura, but it's not that long ago I bought a 5000T, and now that ITVHub has gone from the system, what's next?
    On apps it has never gotten Britbox, and that's not going to happen on this device, along with other apps.

Apart from the usual problems we all know about on the 5000T i'd like to think it would have a longer life than from launch of 2017 of five years.

Sigh!

| Sat 17 Dec 2022 15:47:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

poshsimon - 2 hours ago  » 
    i'd like to think it would have a longer life than from launch of 2017 of five years.

You could consider it having an full app life of 7 years. The FVP-5000t launched under the name of FVP-4000T in 2015.

| Sat 17 Dec 2022 18:28:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

You could consider it having an full app life of 7 years. The FVP-5000t launched under the name of FVP-4000T in 2015.

I could, but I don't as they are different models, and the 5000T is still being sold.
    As consumers we should expect more, especially to avoid more e-waste.

| Sat 17 Dec 2022 18:38:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

poshsimon - 12 mins ago  » 

I could, but I don't as they are different models, and the 5000T is still being sold.
    As consumers we should expect more, especially to avoid more e-waste.

The FVP-4000T and the FVP-5000T are the same model.
    At launch the FVP-5000T was just a FVP-4000T that had a later software version. A few months later the models that had the FVP-4000T branding also had the updated software.

The Humax strategy appears to have worked to a small degree. Those looking for reviews of a FVP-5000T would have missed the earlier incarnations of the software when the model was labelled FVP-4000T.

| Sat 17 Dec 2022 19:04:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

Thanks.

At launch the FVP-5000T was just a FVP-4000T that had a later software version.

As a consumer I did not realise that.

I've been disappointed with Humax for a while now as it appears to have missed a trick or two.

To my original point, I think you've confirmed the product is end of life, certainly as far as development is concerned.

| Sat 17 Dec 2022 19:44:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I have noticed that Humax seem to abandon previous models quite quickly. In my case the hardware for 2000T, 5000T, and even the really old 9150, still work. The software and applications don't keep up. There are faults that don't get rectified. Having said that, wasn't there an update to the 4000T/5000T this year?

Quickly is a relative term. I don't want to upgrade my tech. every year or so, but every manufacturer wants me to!

| Sun 18 Dec 2022 9:47:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

EEPhil - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have noticed that Humax seem to abandon previous models quite quickly.

There is certainly some truth in that but at the moment Humax only make money by selling new boxes; supporting old models with software updates just costs them money.

In my case the hardware for 2000T, 5000T, and even the really old 9150, still work.

As an early buyer of a 9200T, I can say that Humax invested a lot of time, effort and money in producing a series of updates to the 9200T which transformed its capability. They also did a lot of work in the early life of the HDR-FOX T2. I don't think we have seen the same commitment on later models. Particularly disappointing for me was the decision to suddenly stop software development on the Aura when they had made good progress in fixing bugs but still had some fairly commonly experienced bugs remaining.

Would users be prepared to pay an annual subscription to fund software work on existing models?

| Sun 18 Dec 2022 12:46:11 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

Would users be prepared to pay an annual subscription to fund software work on existing models?

I wouldn't!

One could argue that if the Humax software contains bugs it isn't fit for purpose - so these updates should be free. When it comes to missing applications (say ITVX) I'm not so sure.
    If I understand it correctly, the Aura runs Android. Therefore I'd expect Humax to make the hardware and any interface software work properly. If there are still bugs in this they need to be "encouraged" to fix them. Third party applications (iPlayer, ITVX, VLC) would be for those providers to get right. If they don't Google should hold their feet to the fire!

| Sun 18 Dec 2022 15:10:46 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Martin, is this true regarding the NEW Aura pvr? Rather suprised & shocked if this is true? No more software support? This is really is totally not right. All I can think is don't waste any money purchasing Humax products. Their shelf life seems only minutes, not years. I fully appreciate technology is changing, but surely if customers have spent a great deal of their hard earned money on the latest model, they should be better supported? John L

| Mon 19 Dec 2022 18:31:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

I would agree with jdlfreetime.
    It's not as if we're talking about a few tens of pounds, it's hundreds.

I would not pay a subscription for bug repairs.

We're all a bit stuck here, aren't we? Humax, in the past, was great, especially the Fox T2.

I get the impression that Humax has already decided it might now move away from local recordings, and move to devices that are based upon streaming.

Personally, I prefer to download and watch at my convenience rather than use, for example, iPlayer. I can't now use ITVHub, and iPlayer has its problems.
    Perhaps, in the not too distant future, i'll have to use streaming, sadly.

As for Aura, if it's true that development already been put on hold, that really is a bit of a shock.

| Mon 19 Dec 2022 19:32:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.