My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T wired network connection not working

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

giskard

I've plugged a known good cat5e cable into the LAN port of my FVP-5000T and tried to configure the wired connection, but get a message saying that the wired connection has failed and the connection reverts to wireless/WiFi.

Could it be that RF intererence from the adjacent HDMI cable could be affecting the cat5e connection?

| Thu 11 Oct 2018 6:27:33 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

What have you plugged the other end into?!!

| Thu 11 Oct 2018 7:07:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

giskard

pigolato - 30 minutes ago  » 
    What have you plugged the other end into?!!

lol - sorry - my router. The same cables were used to plug a couple of Raspberry Pi boxes into the router and all worked fine.

| Thu 11 Oct 2018 7:39:03 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

In your router set up is the DHCP server turned on ?

In the router list of connected devices can you see the 5000T MAC address ?

If so add it to the reserved address list so it always uses the same IP Address.

In the box settings Network Diagnostics what IP address etc has the box got ?

Which port in the router network switch have you connected the cable to ? ( make sure it's not the out socket for a seperate WiFi Router when the router is set to modem mode.

Unlikely to be HDMI cable interfrence, RF emissions from HDMI are in the UHF TV bands.

Can you ping the box address in a command window ?

| Thu 11 Oct 2018 8:32:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

giskard

Well, I tried the usual tests and found that the connection between the RJ45 sockets and the patch panel was duff. I checked the cables to see if they were fine but the cable tester reported that 2 or 3 pins weren't receiving any signal, so I replaced the RJ45 modules (very fiddly and unwelcome job), re-tested, and after re-punching down a couple if the wires in the cat5e cable, got it all working.

Thanks both for your help.

| Fri 12 Oct 2018 14:55:20 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

giskard - 4 hours ago  » 
    Well, I tried the usual tests and found that the connection between the RJ45 sockets and the patch panel was duff. I checked the cables to see if they were fine but the cable tester reported that 2 or 3 pins weren't receiving any signal, so I replaced the RJ45 modules (very fiddly and unwelcome job), re-tested, and after re-punching down a couple if the wires in the cat5e cable, got it all working.
    Thanks both for your help.

Good news all my kit uses a single cat 5 back to the router with a single cat t5 with a 10 input network switch. Everything works with no problems. Only a Chromecast is WiFi connected.

| Fri 12 Oct 2018 19:38:08 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.