My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

500GB or 1TB

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jackteet

Hi, There are so many intelligent questions asked on this forum
    I feel rather stupid to ask mine; anyway here goes. I am about to purchase from Amazon the freesat humax HDR receiver/recorder 500GB but have noticed a newer model 1TB. Are there many differences between the two other than 1TB having a larger recording capacity.
    I live in southern spain and want a "london" post code to receive progs and news from bbc and itv london region. Can some one please recommend a post code.Thanks very much. jack

| Mon 1 Oct 2012 1:08:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

re Postcodes take your pick

http://www.doogal.co.uk/london_postcodes.php

| Mon 1 Oct 2012 8:22:38 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The only difference between the Foxsat models is the disk size.

| Mon 1 Oct 2012 9:02:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jackteet

Hi Guys thank you very much; one further question if I may. The 350 is more expensive than the 500. I thought the former had a smaller recording capability. Can you please explain which is the better of the two. Thanks jack

| Sun 7 Oct 2012 0:36:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Do you mean the 320 is more expensive ? (not aware of a 350)

The 320 was the original release version of the HDR and came with a 320GByte disk.

The current models either have a 500G or 1TByte disk which give more proportionate recording capacity.

Why anyone with stock left of the 320 would be trying to sell them at a higher price than the current models is slightly strange, you'd expect them to be at discount price.

| Sun 7 Oct 2012 9:23:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

My choice would be to buy the Foxsat with the smallest HDD size and then throw in a bigger disk from my collection: I'd say 1TB is a good size, especially since shows can be backed up across the network or to a locally connected USB drive anyway. Still on the stock 320GB disk myself but might change it for a bigger one at some point.

| Thu 18 Oct 2012 14:27:50 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Throwing in any old larger disk is not necessarily a good idea. Need one that is low power and runs cool.

| Thu 18 Oct 2012 15:46:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

I agree. My pick is usually for Western Digital EURS/EARS series, like they use in VM TiVo boxes. Those run cool, use little power and also tend to vibrate less, meaning very low noise. In fact if VM don't pick up my TiVo when it drops out of contract, I'll throw the 500GB WD Green drive into the Humax after doing a clone/partition resize of the old disk.

| Thu 18 Oct 2012 18:51:42 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Tried my luck with a 1TB Hitachi, SATA 3.0Gbps. Not the quietest or fastest large capacity drive in my collection, but still won't get as warm inside the Foxsat box as the original Pipeline drive I'll bet/

Doing a simple disk to disk copy using G4U and dropping the drive in worked. I then used a Gparted Live CD to expand the video/radio partition to a cool 928.82GB, with a small ~500MB music/photo partition because I don't need barely any space for that sort of thing. Works perfectly so far, very little hassle, just a bit time consuming.

| Tue 23 Oct 2012 0:36:32 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.