My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9200T hard drive replacement

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant

My hard drive is u.s after I interrupted a software update. The record function has now gone from the menu in it's place is games.

I have obtained a new drive (seagate ST3160215ACE)

Can anyone provide me with a step by step idiots guide for replacement?

and will I need to download new software before or after installing the new drive?

Thanks in advance.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 14:08:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Ant - 1 hour ago  » 
    My hard drive is u.s after I interrupted a software update. The record function has now gone from the menu in it's place is games.
    I have obtained a new drive (seagate ST3160215ACE)
    Can anyone provide me with a step by step idiots guide for replacement?
    and will I need to download new software before or after installing the new drive?

No need for software. A step by step guide (which is essentially do the obvious);

Disconnect the mains lead

Remove screws (five?) holding lid.

Disconnect power and data cables to hard drive.

Remove screws holding disk carrier to main unit.

Separate hard drive from carrier.

Check jumper setting on new drive is same as old.

Attach hard drive to carrier.

Screw carrier in place (don't be tempted to leave it loose; various people have and have then knocked the box when running and the hard drive touches the power supply and the power supply is toast).

Reattach cables.

Fit lid.

Power on. Box should askk for permission to format hard drive, accept, format will only take a couple of seconds.

Job done.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 15:32:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant

Many thanks for your help Martin. After the drive is formated will the record icon reappear on the menu? Thanks again.

Ant

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 15:45:56 #3 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Ant - 1 hour ago  » 
    My hard drive is u.s after I interrupted a software update.

I wouldn't have thought interrupting a software update would break your hard drive. As Martin's post suggests, the software isn't stored on the hard drive.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 15:47:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant

Biggles, I accidentally unplugged the machine during a software download. When I plugged back in the record icon had disappeared from the menu. Resetting to default and downloading new software did not resolve it. I spoke to Humax tech line who said unplugging during a software download would have caused the hard drive to fail.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 15:59:47 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

A couple of things occur to me.

1) The 'software update' updates the firmware stored in non-volatile memory not on the hard drive and if interupted can cause the unit to fail to boot at all.

2) If the hard drive has just been corrupted then removing it and formatting it in a PC should enable it's (re)use after reformatting in the PVR.

Some interupted firmware updates can be corrected by repeating the update via serial cable as long as the loader was not corrupted.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 16:50:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Ant - 2 hours ago  » 
    I spoke to Humax tech line who said unplugging during a software download would have caused the hard drive to fail.

Complete nonsense. You can do a software update without a hard drive installed (and I have done hundreds of them).

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 18:30:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

aldaweb - 1 hour ago  » 
    1) The 'software update' updates the firmware stored in non-volatile memory not on the hard drive and if interupted can cause the unit to fail to boot at all.

In my view that could only happen if updating the loader (which has to be via a serial line).

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 18:32:13 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Ant - 2 hours ago  » 
    Many thanks for your help Martin. After the drive is formated will the record icon reappear on the menu?

If it prompts you to format the drive then I would be very confident that the record icon (and all associated functionality) will be restored.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 18:44:29 #9 |
  10. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Martin Liddle - 18 hours ago  » 

aldaweb - 1 hour ago  » 

In my view that could only happen if updating the loader (which has to be via a serial line).

Good point - I was forgetting it was an OTA update.

| Wed 30 Nov 2011 13:31:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.