My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » The Lounge

9300T Hard Drive question?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

De_Niro10

Hi
    I’m new here and have a query which I hope you can answer.
    I have a 9300T 320G which I no longer have a use for.
    I was wondering if I could connect it to my Dell laptop and use it as an external hard drive?
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 21:56:02 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not possible for a number of reasons.

1 The file system used is completely alien to Windows.

2 The hard drive is designed to record video and audio from a pvr. The odd bit error will not be noticed. A similar error if used as a windows drive might make a massive difference to your bank balance

3 If you extract the drive and it was re-formmated it could for instance be used as a recording drive for say a video surveillance system.

4 There is no way to connect the box to a PC that would give access to the internal HDD that would allow a PC to write data to it and read it.

That's the bad news. The good news is you may be able to copy the recordings on it to a PC and watch the existing recordings on other kit.

You would need a USB drive cradle connected to a PC and software that can read the files on it and copy them to a a PC.

I leave it to the experts that use HumaxRW that makes this possible.

Welcome to our forum

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 23:21:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Sorry duplicate post removed. Mods please delete.

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 23:46:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

De_Niro10 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I was wondering if I could connect it to my Dell laptop and use it as an external hard drive?

I have a slightly different view to Graham. Yes you can connect it to your laptop by opening the 9300 and removing the hard drive. You would need to buy a USB 2.0 3.5" SATA hard drive enclosure eg Link to ebay seller to hold the drive and then let Windows reformat the drive. The thing to be wary of is that, as Graham says, a drive optimised for PVR usage optimises playback performance over data integrity so will have less data retries than a normal PC drive so don't store mission critical data on it.

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 23:57:09 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.