My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

A rose by any other name?

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

And yet for all this talk about Youview being subsumed by the goliath corporate monsters, the terrestrial broadcasters are to my knowledge still part funding the project?

I'm not claiming to disagree with what any of you are saying. However, the fact remains that this whole scenario is a total mess, and I see no explanation by way of advertising which would help inform an already confused public as to why we need yet another platform.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 10:32:05 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

And yet for all this talk about Youview being subsumed by the goliath corporate monsters, the terrestrial broadcasters are to my knowledge still part funding the project?

The exact figures weren't made public following the bust-up, but according to leaks the BBC-ITV-C4-C5-Arqiva annual contributions were reduced from around £5m each to £750,000 following the bustup. Leaving development costs fully funded by BT and TalkTalk.

I'm not claiming to disagree with what any of you are saying. However, the fact remains that this whole scenario is a total mess, and I see no explanation by way of advertising which would help inform an already confused public as to why we need yet another platform.

The industry everywhere is in quite a lot of turmoil, caused largely by the speed of technological shifts, not to mention convergence. I agree it's confusing but IMO advertising is not the way to offer explanations of a complex and contested situation, if what you want to do is inform rather than sell. There's plenty of information available on the regulator's website.

And again - Freeview Play is not "yet another platform", it's an extension of Freeview. Like Freetime is an extension of Freesat.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 11:07:53 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB
    And again - Freeview Play is not "yet another platform", it's an extension of Freeview. Like Freetime is an extension of Freesat.

I realise this but it begs the question why both Freeview and Freeview Play are being marketed on Freeview's own web page - (this is demonstrated in the link I provided).

Surely it would be better if the website explained to the visiter that Freeview will be slowly phased out to be replaced by Freeview Play - which I assume is the ultimate aim.

Why are the big terrestrial players still paying anything to Youview? The amounts you mention are still not insignificant.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 15:27:23 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 

JamesB

I realise this but it begs the question why both Freeview and Freeview Play are being marketed on Freeview's own web page - (this is demonstrated in the link I provided).
    Surely it would be better if the website explained to the visiter that Freeview will be slowly phased out to be replaced by Freeview Play - which I assume is the ultimate aim.

No.

Freeview Play is an extension, not a replacement. A manufacturer can get certification of a device as meeting the requirements for Freeview©, Freeview+©, Freeview HD©, or, now, Freeview Play©. Though in practice few new devices are likely to be marketed with less than Freeview HD certification.

Why are the big terrestrial players still paying anything to Youview? The amounts you mention are still not insignificant.

A bargain, for the broadcasters, as they remain shareholders with (in theory) an equal vote and an equal share of any profits, plus in the case of the BBC, no distribution charges.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 15:44:33 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Funnily enough BT has been in touch with me offering/trying to persuade me to take BT TV. Not a bad offer actually - I think it is the BT Plus package which gets you a decent box and they only wanted to charge me £5.00 per month for 12 months. Not sure what the true price is though I declined their offer.

Whilst it may have been a good deal I'm not keen to get involved in subscription TV again, though I do have Netflix. Not sure which supplier BT are using now either for that particular subscription.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 16:07:37 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Supplier? How do you mean?

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 16:12:26 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Supplier? How do you mean?

Youview Box manufacturer.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 16:29:44 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The BT YouView boxes are Humax boxes. TalkTalk boxes are Huawei boxes.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 16:40:54 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.