My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Aerial Input getting very hot

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

William Johnsto

I had to exchange the first unit I bought (from Richer Sounds) because the whole machine seemed to be getting very hot.

The replacement unit seems to be a lot better, though I still notice the aerial socket getting hotter than seems entirely healthy.

Is this something that others have encountered? It is normal?

| Mon 22 Mar 2021 15:43:31 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

William Johnsto - 3 mins ago  » 
    I had to exchange the first unit I bought (from Richer Sounds) because the whole machine seemed to be getting very hot.
    The replacement unit seems to be a lot better, though I still notice the aerial socket getting hotter than seems entirely healthy.
    Is this something that others have encountered? It is normal?

Both RF in and rfout on mine are at ambient temperature. I am using F connectors and Belling Lee adaptors. Could be incorrectly fitted Belling Lee connectors. Do you have amplifier power on. If so the box could be providing DC into a short circuit. Many aerials present a short circuit to DC.

| Mon 22 Mar 2021 15:50:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

William Johnsto

Hi Graham,

There's no adaptor. It was a new aerial, fitted straightforwardly with an F Connector. You ask whether I have amplifier power on. I have an AV receiver, but it's not connected to the Freeview Box. The Box connects via HDMI straight into the TV, and sound is drawn off the TV to the Receiver via an optical cable.

The aerial simply comes straight off the roof; there's no amplification to the signal.

Or have I misunderstood your question?

So far as anything else is concerned, the box is functioning fine, so no obvious fault involved.

| Mon 22 Mar 2021 16:33:13 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

William Johnsto - 2 mins ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    There's no adaptor. It was a new aerial, fitted straightforwardly with an F Connector. You ask whether I have amplifier power on. I have an AV receiver, but it's not connected to the Freeview Box. The Box connects via HDMI straight into the TV, and sound is drawn off the TV to the Receiver via an optical cable.
    The aerial simply comes straight off the roof; there's no amplification to the signal.
    Or have I misunderstood your question?
    So far as anything else is concerned, the box is functioning fine, so no obvious fault involved.

Some Humax boxes have the capability to provide DC power to a remote amplifier. I couldn't remember off hand if the 4000/5000T was one of them. Having checked it's not.

The amount of power inthe rf output from an aerial is minute. So no way the rf connections should be getting warm. As I say mine are not any warmer than room temerature. To warm these up the box itself must be getting warm and that would involve at least several watts. Does the box itself feel warm and is it in open well ventilated location. I have a laser contact thermometer. But mine is externally cool.

Dug out the thermometer. ambient is 23.9 C. The vent output on the left hand side records 30.6C. RF in plug is 36c so is warmer than the rest. Guessing must be the location of the interior heatsink.

| Mon 22 Mar 2021 17:02:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Dug out the thermometer. ambient is 23.9 C. The vent output on the left hand side records 30.6C. RF in plug is 36c so is warmer than the rest. Guessing must be the location of the interior heatsink.

My readings: ambient 21 C, RF in plug is 30 C; hottest part of the top of the box is about 40 C. This seems reasonable to me.

| Mon 22 Mar 2021 18:21:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

William Johnsto

I've noted that the RF out - which I don't use - is also getting warm/hot.

As you say - location of the heatsink.

The unit doesn't have fresh air blowing around it, but neither is it seriously enclosed, has a reasonable amount of space above it, and sits on an FM tuner which produces no heat whatsoever.

might see if I can raise the unit slightly to allow more airflow underneath it; its construction allows for precious little.

In any case, it seems to be operating OK. I think if it were seriously overheating there might be other symptoms.

Thank you in any case for your assistance and insights.

| Mon 22 Mar 2021 18:38:44 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.