My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Aerial Set-Up?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Erskine

I am new to using a STB having previously been a Sky subscriber for 20+ years. I have a 5000T and in general it works fine. Occasionally, the signal drops momentarily and this has made me wonder if the aerial I am using is needing some attention. I have not used the aerial much over the years, but whenever I did, the signal was fine.

The current aerials are located in my loft and not on the roof. Over the years, when I have been in the loft, I admit that I have not paid much attention to them and will have knocked into them. I have also had a new roof installed a couple of years ago which is likely to have disturbed the aerial - they certainly knackered the satellite dish!

So, can anyone give me some advice on the best aerial to use and how to install/set up this aerial?

Just now, the strength of the signal is around 70% while the quality is 100%. Or........ is this strength decent enough?

| Sun 12 Dec 2021 10:54:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Erskine - 1 hour ago  » 
    Just now, the strength of the signal is around 70% while the quality is 100%. Or........ is this strength decent enough?

That is a decent enough signal but it will only be for one multiplex. If you have an old aerial then it may be that it is designed for a group of frequencies that aren't suitable for what is currently broadcast at your location. Tune in turn to BBC1 SD (channel 1) BBC1 HD (channel 101), ITV (channel 3), Sky Arts (channel 11), Quest (channel 12), Yesterday (channel 26), BBC 4 HD (channel 106) and repeat the signal strength and quality check for each channel. If they all return similar results then your aerial is probably OK; if one or more is significantly lower then please supply the first part of your postcode so we can check what the expected reception is at your location and whether a mistuned box is a possible explanation.

| Sun 12 Dec 2021 12:35:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Erskine

Martin Liddle - 13 mins ago  » 

Erskine - 1 hour ago  » 

That is a decent enough signal but it will only be for one multiplex. If you have an old aerial then it may be that it is designed for a group of frequencies that aren't suitable for what is currently broadcast at your location. Tune in turn to BBC1 SD (channel 1) BBC1 HD (channel 101), ITV (channel 3), Sky Arts (channel 11), Quest (channel 12), Yesterday (channel 26), BBC 4 HD (channel 106) and repeat the signal strength and quality check for each channel. If they all return similar results then your aerial is probably OK; if one or more is significantly lower then please supply the first part of your postcode so we can check what the expected reception is at your location and whether a mistuned box is a possible explanation.

Many thanks for that response.

Tried what you suggested and all channels return similar results: 67-70 Strength and 100 Quality. With the exception of BBC 4 HD which was down at 54% strength and 100% quality.

What do you think? BTW, the BBC4 channel was not currently broadcasting if that makes difference? Should I try again when it is online?

| Sun 12 Dec 2021 12:50:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Erskine - 55 mins ago  » 
    Tried what you suggested and all channels return similar results: 67-70 Strength and 100 Quality. With the exception of BBC 4 HD which was down at 54% strength and 100% quality.
    What do you think? BTW, the BBC4 channel was not currently broadcasting if that makes difference? Should I try again when it is online?

OK so the general signal strength is OK. The fact that BC4 HD wasn't broadcasting won't matter as what you are doing is sampling the signal from each multiplex (a group of channels carried on a single frequency) and other channels on the multiplex will have been broadcasting. That still leaves the problem of intermittent signal drop. First thing I would do is look at the cabling leading into the Humax and do as much as you can to keep the HDMI lead well separated from the aerial lead into the TV. A common cause of interference is having the two in close proximity in a rats nest of cables.

| Sun 12 Dec 2021 13:57:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Erskine

Martin Liddle - 50 mins ago  » 

Erskine - 55 mins ago  » 

OK so the general signal strength is OK. The fact that BC4 HD wasn't broadcasting won't matter as what you are doing is sampling the signal from each multiplex (a group of channels carried on a single frequency) and other channels on the multiplex will have been broadcasting. That still leaves the problem of intermittent signal drop. First thing I would do is look at the cabling leading into the Humax and do as much as you can to keep the HDMI lead well separated from the aerial lead into the TV. A common cause of interference is having the two in close proximity in a rats nest of cables.

Ok, I'll have a go at that and see if it makes any difference. I am sure that I have alternate inputs on the TV for the HDMI cable, so I may be able to grab a few centimetres. And I'll take one of the cables out of the trunking leading up to the TV at the back of the TV stand/table.

| Sun 12 Dec 2021 14:50:23 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.