My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Aerials, Splitters, and SFN.

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Johnh510 - 28 minutes ago  » 

The existing aerial lead to the Humax should be removed from the Humax and connected to the splitter in. The existing patch lead going to the TV is then removed from the Humax and connected to one of the outputs. A second patch lead connects from the other splitter out to the Humax rf in.

You can't do that with the Screwfix splitter I bought. That splitter input is male, the aerial lead removed from the input of the humax is male, they don't fit without an adaptor. The female outputs on that splitter don't fit with the existing female in patch lead to the TV, or into the humax.
    It's an unsuitable splitter for this job.
    Other splitters are available, and I have no affiliation with the people that sell them.

The link which both Graham and I have provided is for an all metal body Labgear. The single end is 'male' the two outputs are 'female'. I purchased one only yesterday. If you make up a couple of leads using at least RG59 cable with male connectors on either ends then you will have eliminated all potential weak spots. This arrangement will then plug into RF-in on your device and aerial in on your TV. You will no longer be using RF-out from the Humax.

If you do require a male to female adapter then you can buy them from Screwfix.

| Wed 2 May 2018 10:30:04 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Johnh510 - 2 hours ago  » 

The existing aerial lead to the Humax should be removed from the Humax and connected to the splitter in. The existing patch lead going to the TV is then removed from the Humax and connected to one of the outputs. A second patch lead connects from the other splitter out to the Humax rf in.

You can't do that with the Screwfix splitter I bought. That splitter input is male, the aerial lead removed from the input of the humax is male, they don't fit without an adaptor. The female outputs on that splitter don't fit with the existing female in patch lead to the TV, or into the humax.
    Other splitters are available, and I have no affiliation with the people that sell them.

What's wrong with an adapter ? I make all my interconnects with WF100 sat grade coax and terminate with f connectors, only using F to Belling Lee converters when needed. I have many splitters in my setup, all are F type. Avoids the HDMI interference issues you can get with cheap and nasty coax interconnects.

| Wed 2 May 2018 12:15:34 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Johnh510

What's wrong with an adapter ?

It doesn't connect without adapters.

You post here advising how to connect it up as if it connects without adapters.

The connector I found is metal boxed, and is no more a cheap and nasty interconnect than the screwfix one you recommend.
    It's labelled the same as the one from screwfix, but has the right connectors on it.

Enough.

| Wed 2 May 2018 12:25:20 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Johnh510 - 3 minutes ago  » 

What's wrong with an adapter ?

It doesn't connect without adapters.
    You post here advising how to connect it up as if it connects without adapters.
    The connector I found is metal boxed, and is no more a cheap and nasty interconnect than the screwfix one you recommend.
    It's labelled the same as the one from screwfix, but has the right connectors on it.
    Enough.

But it appears to have a much higher insertion loss than it should. I just tried a splitter (f type) for you and it dropped the signal level 2% and had no effect on quality.

| Wed 2 May 2018 12:31:25 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

What's wrong with an adapter ? I make all my interconnects with WF100 sat grade coax and terminate with f connectors, only using F to Belling Lee converters when needed. I have many splitters in my setup, all are F type. Avoids the HDMI interference issues you can get with cheap and nasty coax interconnects.

I have considered F-connectors myself Graham (I actually have a packet full of them). However, the Labgear which you recommended (and I purchased) doesn't have a threaded connection and neither does the Humax or my TV.

I realise you can purchase F-connector to co-ax (Belling Lee) adaptors, though I remain to be convinced that there is much of an improvement in doing this, vis-à-vis using decent co-ax connectors - I use Labgear with my cable. After all the termination which pushes into the device is still Belling Lee.

| Wed 2 May 2018 13:55:28 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 3 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

I have considered F-connectors myself Graham (I actually have a packet full of them). However, the Labgear which you recommended (and I purchased) doesn't have a threaded connection and neither does the Humax or my TV.
    I realise you can purchase F-connector to co-ax (Belling Lee) adaptors, though I remain to be convinced that there is much of an improvement in doing this, vis-à-vis using decent co-ax connectors - I use Labgear with my cable. After all the termination which pushes into the device is still Belling Lee.

Screwfix sell f type splitters. I only linked the Belling Lee one as in the past I find it tends to confuse those who have never used f connectors. Belling Lee plugs should be soldered for reliable connections, f connectors are much easier to make good connections.

| Wed 2 May 2018 17:01:13 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Following your advice Graham re: using F-connectors for the TV/PVR I decided to bite the bullet and start again.

I already had the F-connectors and enough WF-100 cable. The only thing missing was the F-connector to male coax adaptors. Luckily our trusty local Screwfix had just the job - https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-to-coax-plugs-pack-of-10/39772?tc=BA3&ds_kid=92700024374094231&ds_rl=1248154&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28_XBRDhARIsAEk21FisXFyBztVK_-V6ZetPsM1JuThqII5CWm16zYj1NWi4FU4hEYUfHKYaAv0kEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIHJ4q2q-9oCFSsh0wodRo8P-w

It didn't take me long to make up the new cables and I remembered to check the signal strength on the two weakest channels before I plugged in the new cables i.e. channels 55 & 56.

Whilst the signal strength has only gone up a few percentage points the signal quality has showed a marked improvement. Channel 56 was showing 32% strength and 84% quality just before I plugged in the replacement cables. The new reading (again channel 56) is now 38% strength but quality has shot up to 100%.

All muxes are now returning a value of 100% signal quality, which I suppose demonstrates Graham's assertion that F-connectors provide better performance than the old style coax connectors.

| Thu 10 May 2018 15:24:25 #27 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.