My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Alternative to HDR-2000T

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

I thought it was just my box playing up with no audio until i came here and saw the huge thread about no audio, it looks like they will do nothing about it so i'm looking for another Freeview HD recorder, not bothered about rewind TV as i have that on TV, Now box and Freesat box..

So any suggestions for anything else that will do what is says on the tin?

All1

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 16:29:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Im with you on this. At the moment Im trying to bring in a cheap HD box to compare tuners and test my aerial system as I cant get PSB3 at all now on the Humax

The sound issue has been intermittent and getting worse. More times than not I have to reboot the Humax twice to get sound.

Really I should have sent it back by now.

I dont think I will buy a Humax again. The problem is that nothing else really inspires me in the budget range. The Panasonic looks plasticky and I hear the UI is clunky. Everything else seems in the price bracket above with built in blu ray players etc.

I was going to try the Huawei box (if very cheap or used) just to see what other brands offer

Im as interested as you are to see suggestions.

| Thu 27 Oct 2016 12:45:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

Problem is for me is i have had the box for a while and only use it when my freesat is fully booked (tv guide wise) and never worried about it too much but it's a real pain now, i must admit if they can't sort this soon by either a software fix or something else i don't want to buy Humax again but look at this thread..... No suggestion for another brand, so maybe we are stuffed time will tell i guess.

All1

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 23:49:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

Hi All1 and Minstrel SE, I know that you're asking for an alternative to the 2000t and that you're both having problems with your units, I do have a suggestion but you might not think I'm being serious however I am. Go to Humaxdirect and buy a refurbished hdr1800t 320Gb for £79.00. They've got the 2000t for £109.00, but personally I'd rather buy the cheaper model and an external usb hd and shift recordings you want to keep to that.

The reason I'm making this suggestion is that there is a real dearth of machines, certainly at the low price range, the refurbished models are as new. I personally bought 2 of them and a friend of mine bought one recently and they are fantastic. Being refurbished models, they are as new, so far NO problems with missed recordings, loss of sound, quality etc, they are perfect for me. They might only last a year or two but they come with a one year guarantee, the UI is brilliant, responsive, accurate and simple to operate. I got the idea of a refurb model from someone on this site who said the refurbs tend to have all the problems ironed out of them, I bought mine from Amazon but they no longer have any in stock hence why I suggest humaxdirect.

I've said on other posts that there aren't any "perfect" machines out there, they all mess-up one day, some machines have larger HDD and more tuners but much worse UI or usability. If you bought a refurb model and it didn't work you can always send it back, but I bet you'd find you didn't need to.

All the best Cris.

| Wed 9 Nov 2016 20:22:21 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi

Thanks and I have to say that the UI is very good on the Humax

I also owe the Humax an apology as my PSB 3 band is now fully working as the landlord must have finally done something with the aerial system after months of problems

So I now have a superb picture box with an excellent operating system brought down several pegs by a very loud hard drive that I can hear through in the kitchen(that just cant be right)and a sound throught the hdmi which works 50% of the time without a reboot.

So I may line it with soundproofing sheets and one day replace the hard drive.

As you say the reason for this short thread is that there arent many other options.

A Huawei 360T arrived today as brand new. I will let you all know how that tests out. It was really just to test my aerial system (which due to murphys law is now working) and I know it doesnt have recording only pause and rewind on the buffer. Be interesting to see the picture and operating system on it for £22.50

| Fri 11 Nov 2016 19:04:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

Hi Minstrel, How typical is that, that you now have the PSB3 working. LOL.

The loud HDD does suggest that it's not in great condition, mine are both whisper quiet, so it might well be worth considering returning your unit, if you can get a refund, I stand by what I said above (go for a refurb at half the price) if not get them to replace it or repair it but only keep the repair/ replacement if it doesn't still have the same problems. Noise generated from the HDD is only likely to be caused by something that's rubbing or causing friction and generally will not improve but just cause it to malfunction earlier than their "planned obsolescence" (we all know these machines are build to break).

Had the reports of usability for the fvp4000 been as good as the 2000t, I'd have bought one of those but all the reports, even 1 year on from its launch date, still make it sound like a stinker.

Please do report on the picture quality of your Huawei 360T, as you said the 2000t has a fantastic picture, better than my 2 other makes of PVR, which I used to think were as good as you could get.

All the best.

| Fri 11 Nov 2016 21:19:33 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi

Thanks yes and it makes me feel that I have been singled out if others are getting quiet ones Im not the only one though and I reckon there has been a large bad batch which have been coming back out as refurbs but still as noisy

It probably should go back and I will just check into whether I can get one back in as new cosmetic condition. I will now start making enquiries. Humax have been semi helpful so far while admitting no liability other than " the one in our office is quiet"

The Huawei 360T has a good picture but I found it was faulty as others have reported on the talk talk forum where the picture went ultra bright after six seconds and would return to normal when a button was pressed on the remote then go bright again. Had it working on a couple of channels but the next time it may not work properly again.

Ive handed it to my dad who will test it with his aerial and fault find on it. He can have it if it works for him. Interesting it was reporting a 38% to 58% signal strength compared with say 73% to 80% for the Humax........So one of the boxes is reading way off.

Tested out the Youview which works but Im not really bothered with it. Im happy enough with BBC i player which streams fine in HD on the Humax.

So The Huawei box didnt appear to work properly(I may just have been unlucky again) so be careful everyone in buying those as a lot of people are selling their units on

| Thu 17 Nov 2016 5:39:43 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.