My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Anyone else disappointed with the picture?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

gazzer

Ive had my HDR-2000t for a couple of days now and I'm wondering whether this is the best the picture can do or if I've got a duffer.

I used to have a Sammy STB which had a very good pic on HD and although not great on SD was just about acceptable. However, the system was just too flaky to live with so it had to go.

The TV I have is not "top of the range" but new and very well regarded.

The Hummy was just plugged in where the sammy was without any changes to the TV settings but the picture was approaching unwatchable in dark scenes. Ive changed the settings around but its still not what I'd call "good". I have the motion filter on the highest settings but just a simple pan of the camera or wave of a hand leaves the image smeared over the screen. The Mpeg filter is also right up but the picture is grainier than a bag of rice.

The retailer I bought it from has an excellent returns policy, so is it worth exchanging the box or is this the best I can expect?

| Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:31:28 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigfoot

very pleased with the pic quality on mine. 27" TV mind.

assume your connected via HDMI? assume you've changed the Humax video settings to match display connection and format?

sounds like you have a whole heap of post processing enabled on your TV. Can you try putting it in Gaming mode which will turn it off and see if that improves things? What is the pic like on your TV's inbuilt tuner?

| Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:59:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

gazzer

I usually have all the processing off but because I record a lot from the god awful film four and late night channel 5 (at least this box hasn't clipped the last 5 minutes of law and order like the sammy did) I had turned up the processing. I have just turned everything off and its improved things a lot. Im now fiddling with the mpeg filter to see if it helps.

| Thu 27 Feb 2014 21:06:45 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

gazzer

Oh and sorry, thanks for taking the time to reply bigfoot. Im not normally that rude but I was distracted with fiddling with settings.

| Thu 27 Feb 2014 21:28:27 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gazzer - 22 minutes ago  » 
    Oh and sorry, thanks for taking the time to reply bigfoot. Im not normally that rude but I was distracted with fiddling with settings.

99% of the so called picture enhancements actually make the picture worse. As already said start with everything turned off.

I have jpeg of the HD test card somewhere, I will post a link to download it. See the instructions here how to adjust your TV. If the edges disappear off the edge of the screen turn of overscanning on the TV. You can display it using a usb stick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/12/a_christmas_present_from_the_h.html

EDIT Download from here

https://www.adrive.com/public/CTSYJT/FreeviewHDTestCard.jpg

| Thu 27 Feb 2014 21:55:46 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

gazzer

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive actually managed to drag a decent picture out of the hummax with a little fiddling, maybe even better than I was getting with the Samsung.

Ive turned everything off other than the mpeg filter which is on its lowest setting. Ive dropped the contrast and upped the brightness.

A Samsung engineer originally set the tv up when he came to look at the old STB so I was loathed to mess with the settings myself.

The big test will be the next time I record and watch Pan's Labyrinth from the late night film four signal. On the samsung it was mainly a black screen with the occasional bright smear.

Ive used PVRs for the last six years and rarely watch live TV, and so far Ive been much happier with the Hummax than the Samsung. Now the picture seems to be coming together I expect I will be very happy.

And grahamthompson, thanks for the test card. I looked for one for ages when I first got the TV but to no avail,

| Thu 27 Feb 2014 22:15:45 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.