My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Anyone tried an SSD as external HDD for 2000T

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

Has anyone tried a USB external SSD to add archive storage to the 2000T? Just thinking that with such light use, it ought to outlast a HDD and perhaps fail read-only if ever it did?

But does the need for MBR as opposed to the more modern GPT shorten its life given the clever things that are done behind the scenes to extend SSD lifespans?

| Wed 4 Nov 2020 19:23:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Roy22 - 1 min ago  » 
    Has anyone tried a USB external SSD to add archive storage to the 2000T? Just thinking that with such light use, it ought to outlast a HDD and perhaps fail read-only if ever it did?

I think I have heard of one or two people who have used a USB SSD drive without problem for transfer to and from a Humax.

But does the need for MBR as opposed to the more modern GPT shorten its life given the clever things that are done behind the scenes to extend SSD lifespans?

No the choice of partition scheme doesn't, as far as I know, have any bearing on the life of the drive. The clever wear levelling stuff is done by the drives own firmware without the file system knowing about it.

| Wed 4 Nov 2020 19:29:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

OK thanks for that. I don't like higher cost of SSDs, but there's much less to fail. At 2TB and above, it seems all the major drive manufacturers have recently been caught secretly 'submarining' SMR (Shingled) overlapped sectors into Drives that previously were not SMR. This puts yet more demands on these mechanical HDDs, hence my interest in SSDs.

| Wed 4 Nov 2020 20:44:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

OK thanks for that. I don't like higher cost of SSDs, but there's much less to fail. At 2TB and above, it seems all the major drive manufacturers have recently been caught secretly 'submarining' SMR (Shingled) overlapped sectors into Drives that previously were not SMR. This puts yet more demands on these mechanical HDDs, hence my interest in SSDs.

| Wed 4 Nov 2020 20:44:01 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.