My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Are programme files saved to USB-HDD viewable on laptop ??

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

Hi All,

I have been trying to decide which PVR to buy both for myself and for my elderly parents. I have read reams on various machines (user manuals/owner reviews etc) and have been closing in on the Humax HDR Fox T2. However, I have one question that I thought I had understood but now am not so sure about. Can someone please help to clarify this for me. Many thanks in advance …

I am looking at the facility to copy programmes etc out to USB, be that a 1TB drive or a much smaller Memory Stick. Now, I work in IT so I understand all about disk formats (EXT3, FAT32 , NTFS) and file formats (MP4,XviD,DivX) but what eludes me is whether this particular box (or any other for that matter) copies the programme files out to USB in a format that can be directly read by another device, such as my Windows-7 laptop.

On the face of it I think this should be possible. The owner’s manual, which I have accessed online clearly states that the box is capable of copy-to/playback-from a FAT32 formatted drive. Equally, it states that the video output format is XviD, which I believe to be an MP4 compatible format. As such, I see no reason on the face of it why I could not make recordings on the Fox-T2, transfer them to my laptop (in XviD format) and then watch them back on that at a later date.

My reason for wanting to do this is that I work/live away from home in the week, mostly in B&B’s, so it would be nice if I could record programmes I am interested in at home, transfer them to the laptop and then watch them on that the following week.

Is this possible on the Fox-T2 or on any other PVR for that matter? Any info/guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 9:48:43 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SD content can be transferred to a usb drive and the HDR FOX T2 will decrypt on copying. The file produced is a standard transport stream container (.ts) with mpeg2 compressed transport stream container, playable using pretty well any media playback software. HD content can be copied to USB but the encryption remains, this means that only the box that recorded it is capable of playback (You can playback from usb).

Welcome to the forum

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 10:46:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

Thanks for the Welcome Graham. So, it seems that you are confirming my thoughts, albeit maybe a different video format than I thought, as long as I use a FAT32 formatted USB-HDD that the laptop can read, then I should be able to record on the PVR, copy (SD) out to the USB and then watch it later on the laptop.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 11:04:46 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Correct but very long files will exceed the 4GB file limit of FAT32. The custom firmware available at Hummy.TV will let you use a ntfs formatted drive.

Give Splash-lite a try it's a very good and free media player.

http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 11:17:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

Thanks for the confirmation and recommendation. I was aware of the $GB limit but from memory from what I have read, SD files are around 1.5GB per hour ?? That means I should be able to get a 2 hour documentary/footie match etc (in SD) within the 4GB limit ... correct ??

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 11:23:03 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I rarely record SD but sounds about right. Just started a 30 minute BBC1 recording on my HDR FOX T2, I will post how big it is.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 11:30:34 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Rob Milward - 1 hour ago  » 
    Equally, it states that the video output format is XviD, which I believe to be an MP4 compatible format.

Where does it say that? As far as I know the format is TS (which Graham has described above).

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 11:47:05 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

File size as promised

Attachments

1. 30minSD.jpg (43.3 KB, 4 downloads) 11 years old
    | Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:03:17 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

Manual P38:Media List ... shows the Read/COPY formats for the various disk formats (FAT/NTFS) with FAT showing XviD, which is why I assumed this was the output format when writing to USB-HDD. (Based on what Graham has said, I don't mind what the format is, as long as I can read it from the laptop I am happy !!)

FROM THE MANUAL:P38:
    • Please use only the USB storage device which was formatted with ext3, FAT or NTFS file system.
    • Compatible USB devices include portable flash memory (particularly keydrives) and digital audio
    players (MP3 players) of format FAT12/16/32. It is not possible to connect this unit to a personal
    computer for USB playback.
    • You can play back XviD/MP3/JPEG files (except files with copy-protection or restricted playback).
    • Supported features according to USB file system
     ext3: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
     FAT: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
     NTFS: Read (MP3, JPEG, XviD)

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:05:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Rob Milward - 2 minutes ago  » 
    shows the Read/COPY formats for the various disk formats (FAT/NTFS) with FAT showing XviD, which is why I assumed this was the output format when writing to USB-HDD.

Wrong assumption but as you say it doesn't matter. Probably not relevant for your purpose but it is possible to install custom firmware that would allow HD recordings to be played externally.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:10:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.