My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Are programme files saved to USB-HDD viewable on laptop ??

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

800M for 30mins seems okay. Going on roughly 1GB per 30m this still gives 2 hours within the 4GB FAT32 limit, which should, in general, cover most requirements, so I am happy with that. Thanks for doing the test.

One very last question if I may ... having got the '.ts' file on the PVR-HDD, when I copy it to the USB-HDD does it auto-convert to a (different) readable codec so that the laptop media player can read it, or, is '.ts' a generic (dare I say 'standard') format that (?most/all?) media players can read anyway ??

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:14:25 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

RE:Wrong assumption ... that is why I am on here asking the experts !! ... ;0)))

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:16:16 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Rob Milward - 3 minutes ago  » 
    One very last question if I may ... having got the '.ts' file on the PVR-HDD, when I copy it to the USB-HDD does it auto-convert to a (different) readable codec so that the laptop media player can read it, or, is '.ts' a generic (dare I say 'standard') format that (?most/all?) media players can read anyway ??

The copying removes the encryption but doesn't change the format. It would be quicker to use the FTP server on the Humax and transfer to the laptop with an FTP client but pointless as it doesn't remove the encryption.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:20:02 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

So when I get the decrypted .ts onto the USB I then need to convert it to some different format or can media players, as Graham seemed to suggest, read '.ts' as-it-comes ??

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:21:43 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Rob Milward - 5 minutes ago  » 
    So when I get the decrypted .ts onto the USB I then need to convert it to some different format or can media players, as Graham seemed to suggest, read '.ts' as-it-comes ??

Many can deal directly with TS. You can make significant savings in file size by converting but it probably isn't worth it for things that will be watched once.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:29:34 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

Excellent. Unless you can think of anything else to volunteer into this discussion I think you have both answered all my queries on this topic. MANY THANKS to you both. Very much appreciated. I can now go forth and purchase the T2 with confidence that I can do all I wanted with it (and have all the info I need to convince my Dad that this is the better product and so get him one too). Thanks all ...

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:32:44 #16 |
  7. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

A way around the 4GB file limit on FAT32 is to format in EXT3 and FTP files directly from the external USB device (Called drive1) to your PC / Laptop. The copy from internal HDD to the USB drive is still required as all files on the internal HDD are encrypted, but having copied to the USB drive you can then FTP directly from there

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:47:10 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Rob Milward - 25 minutes ago  » 

No need to convert it's a standard container. To burn to DVD you don't need to recode either just change the container to programme stream (.mpg). Most DVD authoring packages will use .ts anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:50:42 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rob Milward

Hi Graham, Just as I thought we were done I have to ask a question from your last post !! When you say 'just change the container', how would I do that ?? Surely not just change the filename extension in Explorer ??

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 12:55:19 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Rob Milward - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham, Just as I thought we were done I have to ask a question from your last post !! When you say 'just change the container', how would I do that ?? Surely not just change the filename extension in Explorer ??

Not normally you need some sort of conversion software, if you don't change the actual content the process is uber quick.

If you want an all in one solution, edit out ads burn as new file or author to DVD try Videoredo TVsuite, it's not free but is very good. There are free ways but can be a bit fiddly.

Some software will play back .ts if you change the extention from .ts to .mpg (The same applies to .vob files used on DVD's)

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 13:23:29 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.