My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Bad/no picture anymore, no HDMI support anymore...

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

I think this might not be looking good for my FVP5000T.
    Sorry for long posting...

I did have pictures and sound on the TV, usually better when the FVP5000T was in standby. Sometimes they would break up. Better pictures/sound on the FVP5000T.

A week ago or so, I lost the pictures & sound. The FVP5000T was extremely hot. I turned it off - plug out, let it cool, turned on again and the everything was back.

Today I tried connecting a new Fire Stick to the TV (with the extension as it wont physically connect to the HDMI port on the TV without it - it is very chunky.)

Then the picture broke up and sound went on the TV (TV as source). The only channels that are fine are the Saorview channels! (Clermont Carn transmitter) That makes a change! All Freeview channels are unwatchable. (Divis Transmitter).

With FVP5000T as source, it is even worse. No picture and only very broken sound at times. Again the Saorview channels are fine. I have also had the message that my TV does not support HDMI.....

I have removed the fire stick but that has not changed anything. Both the fire stick and nowtv work fine. (ok, so they are streaming but are using HDMI)

I've put the antenna cable directly into the tv and that gives perfect pictures. I've connect the antenna to the other co-axial cable that would be going into the FVP5000T and the picture on the TV is fine. I have swapped the HDMI cables between the FVP5000T nowTV and the HDMI cable is working fine. Twiddling any of the cables does nothing.

Signal strength, its the same with the FVP5000T in standby or turned on:
    BBC 1 - Bit error level is 2000 (max), signal strength is 42
    ITV, C4, C5 - bit error level is 2000 (max), signal strength switches between 0 and 50.
    RTE 1 - Bit error level is 1680, signal strength is 10.

I tried turning the FVP5000T completely off, left it for a couple of hours, but still no proper pictures.

I saw in another post about a variable attenuator.... may that be useful in this case? (I might get a couple anyway and try - also try on my Foxsat connected to a different TV as occasionally things go wonky there)

And there was something about the HDMI cable? I don't know if mine is er double insulated (?).

My aerial cable is not the old brown version. They got updated a few years ago.

Anything else I can try before contacting Humax?

Something must be working alright if the Saorview channels are fine. But the Freeview channels are the worst I have ever seen. The other TVs in the house are fine.

This is where I wake up tomorrow and they're all fine again! *fingers crossed*

| Sun 2 Sep 2018 22:08:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

Ok, still not sure what is up with my FVP-5000T. I took it into another room, same model of TV. Connected it up and the channels were fine on both the TV and through the 5000T.

I've tried removing all devices from the tv and just connecting the 5000T, but still no picture or extremely poor picture.

Doing a signal test on the 5000T,
    Recording: UTV SD, C4 HD, RTE1 SD
    Tuner 1 is either 0% for both strength & quality, or strength 50%, quality 10%, - no picture or sound
    Tuner 2 is either 0% for both strength & quality, or strength 50%, quality 10%, - no picture or sound
    Tuner 3 is strength 10%, quality 10%, - picture and sound is fine
    (or if I try recording C5 on Tuner 3, strength is 0% and quality is 0% - no picture or sound)

Really not sure what the RTE channels are all fine and the freeview ones are non-existent.

I think I have tried all combinations and checked all I can.

Next I guess I need to change the connection on the aerial cable into the 5000T - it seems like it fit tighter. Though wobblying it doesn't seem to have any effect on the picture/audio. So I'm not so hopeful.

Or has anyone else any other ideas I could try?

I was just going to get some of the connectors from screwfix recommended in other posts. Was also going to get some PF100 cabling but screwfix seems out of it?! Any other suggestions on where to get some? Or an alternative cabling?

Was going to try a splitter too to see if that helped.

Do you think an amplifer (at the TV) might help? Any recommendations? I'm assuming with the signal strength and quality I am getting on the 5000T that an amplifier would be more appropriate than an attenuator.

If my actual TV signal was bad, would I not be seeing poor pictures when the antenna cable is connected directly to the TV? It is satellite quality cable as it was changed a few years ago.

Was thinking of retuning the 5000T, but I think that might loose all the channels? So if using newly made cables might not get anything.... then again, what have I to loose...and I suppose I can retune using the other TV..?!!

Anyone got any ideas about this?

| Wed 5 Sep 2018 17:30:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

Re-tune (default) did nothing except reduce my channels down to 26. Still broken picture on tv, no picture on 5000T except for RTE channels.

I am really baffled by this. Has to be something really obvious to have gone from working ok to not working.....without actually touching the 5000T.

So HDMI cable.... it is lying across the aerial cable at the 5000T inputs/outputs. The 5000T is on the opposite side of the TV to the HDMI inputs. The HDMI cable works as I've tried it in a nowtv box. It is the same cable that has been connected to the 5000T since I got it.

| Wed 5 Sep 2018 17:53:54 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.