My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

BBC iPlayer and Foxsat hdr

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

domfern

Is it possible to download BBC iPlayer programs to the Foxsat HDR drive for viewing later? Specifically via the satellite as our Internet speeds are trash.

| Wed 13 Mar 2013 18:42:20 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sadly streaming only. Welcome to the forum.

| Wed 13 Mar 2013 19:00:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

domfern

Thanks for the quick reply.

I which case is it possible to use the Internet to download onto the HDR rather than the Satellite ?

| Wed 13 Mar 2013 19:05:32 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Possibly by a roundabout route (never tried this). Record to PC using Get_Iplayer. Use AV2HDR to build the support files. Copy the files to a USB drive and either replay from there or upload to the HDD. Using the custom firmware you can also transfer the 3 files directly to the Foxsat.

| Wed 13 Mar 2013 19:44:43 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

The get_iplayer sequence does work, I've used it.

You may need to recode the downloaded file before AV2HDR can import it though.

| Wed 13 Mar 2013 20:01:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Yep, you can download iPlayer content, even HD if you add FLVStreamer. I've used it to archive stuff I like, but don't want to re-encode with Handbrake which would take a while. Season 19 of Top Gear in 720p, for example.

| Wed 13 Mar 2013 22:05:53 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jb9

zeke - 1 week ago  » 
    Yep, you can download iPlayer content, even HD if you add FLVStreamer. I've used it to archive stuff I like, but don't want to re-encode with Handbrake which would take a while. Season 19 of Top Gear in 720p, for example.

I've used get_iplayer under Ubuntu with default settings and get .mp4 files that I can play from a USB stick on my small Samsung TV. However, having flashed my Foxsat HDR box with raydon's Media & File Server Bundle, I can transfer the .mp4 files, but it doesn't see them.

Any suggestions please?

| Sat 23 Mar 2013 10:12:46 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jb9 - 1 hour ago  » 

zeke - 1 week ago  » 

I've used get_iplayer under Ubuntu with default settings and get .mp4 files that I can play from a USB stick on my small Samsung TV. However, having flashed my Foxsat HDR box with raydon's Media & File Server Bundle, I can transfer the .mp4 files, but it doesn't see them.
    Any suggestions please?

The foxsat will only play back video if the video file is accompanied by two sidecar files (.hmt .nts). You need a copy of Raydons AV2HDR for the Foxsat, this will create the 3 files you need and also upload them to the Foxsat using ftp

Welcome to the forum

| Sat 23 Mar 2013 12:11:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jb9

Thanks Graham. I installed the mono environment on my Lubuntu box and AV2HDR appears to run, but it doesn't like the mp4 files from get_iplayer. I guess that I have to download some other format; it says that it wants TS/MTS/M2TS/MPG/VOB.

I'll have to research get_iplayer to see what it can do

| Sat 23 Mar 2013 18:23:35 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jb9 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks Graham. I installed the mono environment on my Lubuntu box and AV2HDR appears to run, but it doesn't like the mp4 files from get_iplayer. I guess that I have to download some other format; it says that it wants TS/MTS/M2TS/MPG/VOB.
    I'll have to research get_iplayer to see what it can do

Try changing the file extention from .mp4 to .mpg or .ts. If not it should be easy to change the container for the 720p25 content losslessly. Not very familiar with Linux. Very easy in Windows.

Get iplayer simply saves the stream to a file, afaik it can't change the delivered file format.

| Sat 23 Mar 2013 19:50:50 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.