My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

BBC iplayer not working

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Claire83

Hi guys, I have a FreeSat box - NOT one of the older ones which no longer works with BBC iPlayer. When I go onto BBC iPlayer on the OnDemand services, it comes up fine with all recent programs listed etc but when I click on a program to watch I get the doughnut of doom (the circle which looks as though the page is loading) and then nothing happens. Eventually I get a time out/error message. I know there is no problem with my Internet as other on demand services work fine. The problem just seems to be BBC iPlayer. Does anybody have any ideas of what is causing this or how to fix it? It's almost like I need to remove BBC iPlayer and reinstall it but I'm not sure how to do that as the OnDemand services all come as a package. Thanks!

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 23:51:17 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Hi Claire. Did you ever get a reply to this question? We've got a FVP4000T with the latest software, and we're frustrated by the "doughnut of doom" (I love it!) too. However, in our cases it happens about 90% of the time, and only after we've been watching for about 10 minutes. We have to switch back to the TV for iPlayer purposes.
    Our Sony Android TV handles iPlayer without any trouble, so it's clearly not an Internet/WiFi problem.
    However, the iPlayer interface on the TV is quite different. We have to log in each time to view the homepage, whereas on the Humax we just go straight to the homepage.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:09:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Claire, what model number etc. is your Freesat box?

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:11:49 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Claire, just noticed your date of entry and I presume/hope you have solved the problem by now.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:15:09 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mrbutt89 - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Claire. Did you ever get a reply to this question? We've got a FVP4000T with the latest software, and we're frustrated by the "doughnut of doom" (I love it!) too. However, in our cases it happens about 90% of the time, and only after we've been watching for about 10 minutes. We have to switch back to the TV for iPlayer purposes.
    Our Sony Android TV handles iPlayer without any trouble, so it's clearly not an Internet/WiFi problem.
    However, the iPlayer interface on the TV is quite different. We have to log in each time to view the homepage, whereas on the Humax we just go straight to the homepage.

How is the box and TV connected to your router. If Wifi have you checked with a laptop what sort of speed you get where the box is located ?

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:38:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Hi Graham. I'll check the speed later and get back to you on that. Both the TV and the Humax are connected via WiFi, and both are in the same location. It seems odd that the TV works and the Humax doesn't, as they're both connected to the same network in the same way. Further data to follow in due course...

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:42:54 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mrbutt89 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham. I'll check the speed later and get back to you on that. Both the TV and the Humax are connected via WiFi, and both are in the same location. It seems odd that the TV works and the Humax doesn't, as they're both connected to the same network in the same way. Further data to follow in due course...

The WiFi aerial in the TV is likely to be much higher and less screened than a box tucked under the TV. If you can, run a broadband speed test with a laptop in roughly the same location as the box. Can you run a cat 5/6 cable from the TV and Box location back to the router ?

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:50:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Hello again. Well, I've done a few checks. The speed on our 5 GHz WiFi network is 175 Mbps, but I've noticed tha

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 13:03:38 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mrbutt89 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Hello again. Well, I've done a few checks. The speed on our 5 GHz WiFi network is 175 Mbps, but I've noticed tha

Your post was somehow curtailed.

Anyone know if a FVP box supports 5GHz. It would be unusual for a TV to do so, so it's possible both devices aren't using the same WiFi band.

All my kit other than laptop is hard wired.

Try logging both into 2.8GHz.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 13:11:48 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Hello again. Well, I've done a few checks. The speed on our 5 GHz WiFi network is 176 Mbps, but I've noticed that although the signal strength shows as "Excellent" on my phone, the signal strength as reported on the Humax is 1 dot and 1 bar on the graphic. So I've swapped the Humax over to the 2.4 GHz network, with a speed of 74 Mbps, and it's now showing full signal strength. A quick (20 minute) test with one iPlayer programme has been fine, so perhaps it was just a signal strength issue rather than the speed. I'll leave it on the slower, stronger network and see how it goes.
    If the problem persists, I can run a test with a cable, but I'll wait and see how it goes over the next few days.
    Thanks for your help, which I think has pointed me in a helpful, albeit slightly unexpected, direction!

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 13:13:16 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.