My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

BBC Radio Broadcast Standards- Freeview & Freesat

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lavagiant

I just thought I'd better update.

My understanding was slight incorrect, haha, but I really was talking about windows files extensions in my mind - files as in MP2/MP3 etc.
    After reading and considering, after a couple of paracetamol's I really got that they are MPEG1 or maybe MPEG2 (in some cases) Layer 1, 2 or 3.
    A big thanks for steering me into reading the wiki's.

It seems the BBC decided to use MPEG1 L2 as it was decided a better standard for broadcast over Freesat and Freeview. It coped better with transmission errors and assoc. problems and at 192K the compression didn't affect perceived quality.

At 192K its not too bad at all. I did a listening test cause really I needed to compare all, so I guess I should have done this earlier.
    My preference is actually the MP4 via the web interface or slightly less hassle was the 'get_iplayer' which saves on the PC as an M4A (MP4 audio file at 128K).
    The 192k MP2 via MPEG 1 Layer2 of the .TS file was good indeed. If I forget to download the M4A files before they are deleted I wont be too disappointed.
    My source music was Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes - Sarah Cox opened the Sound of the 80's with this last Saturday and I have the exact track on the Greatest Hits album (they made about 5 versions of this track). It wouldn't have been my perfect choice but all my listening & comparing elements were in there.

The shrink utility did wonders for the Freeview .TS file, it went from 700 to 200 MB in 2 mins on a USB drive ! Its still was a bit flabby compared with the Freesat .TS file.

Just to finish off a big thanks to you all. I feel a lot better now. I had got really peed off with listening on DAB (I had to get a half decent antenna as I was just outside the Lancashire ensemble). DAB is disappointing!

Paul aka LavaGiant

| Sat 12 Oct 2013 21:46:08 #11 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.