My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

BBC1 HD Protected Files

(20 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It would be nice if programs could be at least shared (perhaps via dlna or to other Humax boxes on the local subnet without problems. Many of use have more than one Humax box.

| Sat 1 Oct 2011 16:57:48 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

sloppyjon - my simple guess would be that the flag to encrypt is carried in freesat data which is not processed in non freesat mode.

| Sat 1 Oct 2011 16:59:49 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 7 minutes ago  » 
    It would be nice if programs could be at least shared (perhaps via dlna or to other Humax boxes on the local subnet without problems. Many of use have more than one Humax box.

Great idea after all the HDR FOX T2 can do this to another HDR FOX T2 or a HD FOX T2 (Not much use to you sadly REPASSAC). Doubtfull if we will see this till the Mk2 Foxsat-hdr appears

| Sat 1 Oct 2011 17:07:49 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dysanovic

Cheers for the replies Raydon et al. (great work with the media bundle Raydon)

It's really annoying why broadcasters encrypt HD content. You'd have thought that if they can encrypt HD content so well, then they'd do the same to the SD content (just to be bloody minded )

What I do find weird is that recordings of HD content is NOT encrypted in the "0.ts" file. It looks as though one could use this file as a work around to the encryption problem. However it looks as though it's limited in length (around 16GB?) so older recording will drop off the end.

| Sun 2 Oct 2011 0:42:19 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kirit

Hi Dysanovic

Broadcasters encrypt because people pirate the stuff. BBC has a thriving DVD/BLURAY business. That is also another reason why they broadcast at a poor nitrate and 1440 x 1080. I personally think it is a dead cause. Just search the web for ripping DVDS and BLURAY.

| Mon 3 Oct 2011 11:56:57 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Get Go

What really annoys me is the complete and utter pointlessness of Freesat/Humax's encryption policy. It doesn't stop piracy at all and just significantly hinders Humax's customers from getting the most out of their Foxsat box.

The programs are broadcast unencrypted, so any pirate will simply use a PC with a TV receiver USB dongle to pirate all the HD content he wants (not to mention that you can record unencrypted HD in non-freesat mode on the Humax anyway)

Just seems designed to annoy, hinder and frustrate legitimate users

| Mon 3 Oct 2011 14:14:59 #16 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I don't think that Humax have much choice in the matter if they want to make a freesat badged box. [They could however have provided no usb copying like some other freesat boxes].
    Blame the broadcasters or perhaps sometimes their content providers].

| Mon 3 Oct 2011 15:13:45 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Get Go

REPASSAC - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I don't think that Humax have much choice in the matter

No I don't mean to blame Humax, they have to comply with Freesat's Terms of Service.

It just that Fressat's Encryption policy is so very, very pointless. Why require it at all?

| Mon 3 Oct 2011 15:21:38 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dysanovic

Kirit - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hi Dysanovic
    Broadcasters encrypt because people pirate the stuff. BBC has a thriving DVD/BLURAY business. That is also another reason why they broadcast at a poor nitrate and 1440 x 1080. I personally think it is a dead cause. Just search the web for ripping DVDS and BLURAY.

Scenario: I record a program. My missus is hogging the TV so I think it would be nice if I could watch the program, which I LEGALLY recorded, on my PC; only to find that I cannot as its encrypted.

The stuff I want to watch I'd discard after viewing (MOTD, Newsnight - yeah rock and roll lifestyle), so it can hardly be treated as piracy.

The video indusrty has got it all wrong in my opinion. Roll on when a video version of Spotify comes to town

| Mon 3 Oct 2011 22:50:41 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Get Go

Did any one see The Guardian article on the BBC's HD DRM negotiations with Ofcom? Very interesting read. It mentions Freeview, but I'm sure it goes for Freesat too(?)

Did you know German law prohibits DRM on its public broadcasts, and American law prohibits DRM on all broadcasts, both commercial and non-commercial?

It goes on to say there was really no justification for the DRM being enabled.

It really makes you wonder.

The article is at:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/14/bbc-hd-drm

and I've archived a a copy at WebCite
    http://www.webcitation.org/63EuYHuti

| Wed 16 Nov 2011 15:17:36 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.