My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Best way to view recordings on a PC

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stefanjan

I have finally figured out most of the features of Raydon.

Now trying to work out the best method to view recordings on a PC.

There is a lot of information around but difficult to find it as there are so many posts.

Should I use:

VLC - easy to use but does not look like I can start playing part way through

SMB, Twonky Media, or MediaTomb. Trying to figure what the differences are between these and which is better.

Which player should I use on the PC - Trying XBMC but it is not obvious to me how to hide folders which start with a dot and have nothing in them. It would also be good to be able to show only video which would play (not encrypted HD)

| Wed 25 Apr 2012 18:49:23 #1 |
  2. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

stefanjan - 20 hours ago  » 
    I have finally figured out most of the features of Raydon.
    Now trying to work out the best method to view recordings on a PC.
    There is a lot of information around but difficult to find it as there are so many posts.
    Should I use:
    VLC - easy to use but does not look like I can start playing part way through
    SMB, Twonky Media, or MediaTomb. Trying to figure what the differences are between these and which is better.
    Which player should I use on the PC - )

If you are using Win 7 then install MediaTomb and on the left side after you log onto Foxsat you will see an ICON representing each of your media files on the HDR and if you click on the right hand icon it will give you option to view, rename, download etc. I just click on the main icon and it streams across and opens in Media Player and plays !

| Thu 26 Apr 2012 15:03:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

stefanjan

If you are using Win 7 then install MediaTomb and on the left side after you log onto Foxsat you will see an ICON representing each of your media files on the HDR and if you click on the right hand icon it will give you option to view, rename, download etc. I just click on the main icon and it streams across and opens in Media Player and plays !

Thanks sloppyjoe for the reply

Do you mean open Media Tomb after connecting to my Humx HDR

I see a tree on the left under database / file system, with some but not all the files on the right. I can't see any option for playing them.

Or do you mean select the Browse Media option from the Freesat open screen. There does not seem to be a play option

| Thu 26 Apr 2012 22:19:31 #3 |
  4. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

stefanjan - 10 hours ago  » 
    [quote]
    Or do you mean select the Browse Media option from the Freesat open screen. There does not seem to be a play option

oops sorry I got that wrong,,,the method I described is for downloading not viewing in streaming mode.

To do that you need to set up Media Player for streaming. Open Media Player and one of the tabs you will see " Stream " and a pull down arrow, click on the arrow and enable streaming, there will be a few options and I select only home network or local network. Then close that up and open network sharing, in the upper right corner you should see " See full map " click on that and if you have the HDR running it should show up in the bottom, if not the "click here to see all devices " and it should show up. If not then restart windows and also the HDR. It then "should" show up. I find that it can sometimes be lazy and takes it awhile. When you click on FOXSAT-HDR it will open a folder called Media, and inside that, Music,opt,Photo,Video. Click on video and your HDR folders and videos will be displayed. Click on any of the icon videos (ts files) and it should stream. I have done this many times, it's great ! Once you have set this up, it should stay, make a Network shortcut on your desktop and then you should be ok.

| Fri 27 Apr 2012 9:06:42 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.